Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Vancouver Views - Brockton Point, Dr. Sun Yat-Sen's Garden and More


As part of the Vancouver Views series, this post features a few of the local spots in Vancouver, British Columbia. From a multicultural city with the charm of a 'town', it has grown to a major metropolis. Hope you enjoy the tour.  There will be more of these posts in the coming weeks.



Brockton Point in Stanley Park, Vancouver, by DG Hudson


This view of Brockton Point shows Burrard Inlet in the background on a sunny day and is part of the Stanley Park* drive running through this large city park. Many tourists and locals visit here year round. As a scenic spot, it's quite popular for weddings, group shots, etc.  Located at the east end of Stanley Park, it was named for Francis Brockton. The Brockton Point Lighthouse is an automated light.

*Stanley Park will be featured in another post.


***

The BC Hydro Building, located in downtown Vancouver, was photographed from a parkade roof. Standing tall behind the church steeples, it towers over the city and brightens our life with electricity. You can't always see the architecture when too many tall buildings cluster together, but for now, this one is visible. Links follow the post for more information.



BC Hydro Building, Vancouver, by DG Hudson


***

Statue of Harry Jerome, a runner of Olympian quality from the 1960s, against the Canada Place Sails on the left and the Vancouver city skyline. This statue rewards one of our local athletes from the city's past. Harry was born in Saskatchewan, one of the prairie provinces.



Harry Jerome statue, Vancouver, by DG Hudson

***

Dr. Sun Yat-Sen's Chinese Garden, on the edge of Vancouver's Chinatown, is a peaceful, beautiful oriental garden and museum. Gifts of custom chopsticks, and other collectible gifts are displayed, as well as smaller copies of the Dragon head used for the Chinese New Year's festivities. The first garden of it's kind outside of China, the museum also displays information about the history behind its creation.



Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden, Vancouver, BC, by DG Hudson


***

Have you ever been to Vancouver? Do you travel or prefer to explore your own country? What is your favourite city to explore?
Please share in the comments. I'm always listening. Thanks for dropping by.

***

References

http://www.venturevancouver.com/brockton-point-stanley-park Brockton Point

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/sites-landmarks-and-totem-poles.aspx
Vancouver visitor sites

http://vancouverchinesegarden.com/mission-history/ History of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden

http://www.aviewoncities.com/buildings/vancouver/bchydrocentre.htm BC Hydro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Jerome Harry Jerome

***

28 comments:

  1. I've been to the area but never got to go explore the sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call me next time, we'd be glad to show you around. This is hub's hometown.

      Delete
  2. I visited Vancouver twice when I was a kid. And I'm headed to Vancouver Island/Victoria at the end of May for a quick vacation. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Victoria, it's the former home of Emily Carr. We spent our honeymoon in the Empress Hotel. They have high tea but it can be pricey.

      The Royal British Columbia Museum is something you should see, if you can. I'll feature that in another post.

      Delete
  3. I have been to Vancouver! I remember it as a city of bicycles -- it's been decades since I was there, though. Summer of '87 or (yipe) '88. Need to verify.

    High tea at the Empress Hotel sounds lovely. As always, gorgeous images, D.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have lots of bicycles, and bike lanes, hikers, climbers, etc. I was here in the eighties too, Suze. Tea at the Empress is lovely.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to Canada. Too old and stiff to travel now. Stanley park interests me. Those Stanleys got about in the world in the olden days. Haha. Francene Stanley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about those exploring Stanleys of the olden days, Francene. Our Stanley Park was also designated to be in perpetuity (so they can't develop it). It has 'old growth' huge evergreens, as well as beaches, walkways, and a seawall.

      Delete
  5. Never been, but now I want to go. I've always like the "idea" of Canada, but it's always been too cold for me. Maybe vacation some year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as cold in Canada on the west coast. We have a moderate temperature all year round, and warm currents flowing by the west coast that help. (El Nino, etc)

      That's what drew me here, and why I've stayed. Not too hot, not too cold. Maybe a little more rain, but it keeps us green.

      Delete
  6. Awesome photos! I really want to go there one day.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do get here, Nutschell. Anything you want to know, just ask. If I don't know, hubs will.

      Delete
  7. Everyone I know who's visited Vancouver has returned raving about this exquisite city. Hub wants to combine a visit with a trip to Alaska (in order to maximize the long haul from the East Coast.) One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent idea, Kittie. I've heard the drive is long between Vancouver and Alaska, so a lot of people take the Inside Passage cruise. I'm glad visitors like it here, Vancouver is used to tourists and likes visitors.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to Canada, but I would love to visit it someday. (NOT in winter, however.) Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Got any aurora borealis shots? That's gotta be one of the best things about living up north. Seeing them in person is on my so-called bucket list. Who knows? Maybe I'll see 'em from Canada some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Susan, I've not seen the aurora borealis, you have to go further north than Vancouver. Hubs saw them in Kitimat in the north and I've heard they're better at certain times of the year. It's on my list of trips too.

      Delete
  9. I just came back from Vancouver! Love the city and the rain. Last week I've attended a Mary Kay career conference (I'm MK beauty consultant, that's my secret life). It rained Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. The sun started to shine just when was time to go back north... Regardless, I had an awesome time, visited Lions Bay (years ago I lived there) and the 'old' Sea to Sky highway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know the rain doesn't bother you. Vancouverites just shrug it off. (Nice to know what your secret life is, too.) I love this area and would never leave it except to go traveling.

      Delete
  10. Great photographs. Thanks for sharing.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Joyce. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  11. Your photographs always transport me to a world of beauty. Your skill amazes me. Thanks for visiting my blog today, Roland :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my photos transport, that is the intent. Merci. I visit your blog because it draws the reader into a well-imagined world, the world of New Orleans.

      Delete
  12. Great shot of that Chinese garden; looks like a place I wouldn't mind reading or writing. I've been to Canada twice: to Campobello Island and to see Niagara Falls (from the horseshoe side of things). Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to visit the west coast one day, Milo. I haven't seen much of the east, only the airports. One day may take a train trip. . .

      Delete
  13. I like Vancouver. I really like the Chinese Garden. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Sherry. There's more to come about Vancouver. The Chinese Garden is a little spot of calm in the busy city.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful! I've never been to Vancouver but I hear such wonderful things. Thanks for sharing these pictures - the one from the rooftop parking is especially cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicki, I like the aerial views too!

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.