Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Bridges of Vancouver, BC - A Sampling

Four favorites:

The Burrard Bridge, the Granville Street Bridge, Lions Gate Bridge and the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. There are several more in the city and in outlying municipalities crossing rivers.

Burrard Bridge

Built in the years 1930-1932, and also called the Burrard Street Bridge, this Art Deco style steel construction in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, is distinctive and reminds me of castles. It's a great place to watch fireworks and is one of the best viewpoints in the city. It crosses False Creek, connecting the downtown core with Kitsilano.



Burrard Bridge Vancouver BC Canada - WC

Busts of Captain George Vancouver and Sir Harry Burrard-Neale in stylized prows of ships form part of the design on the bridge's structure. Both men played a part in Vancouver's exploration and history.

***

Granville Street Bridge

Another bridge spanning False Creek is the Granville Street Bridge, a modern styled bridge which also rises above Granville Island, a crafters market and unique location in Vancouver, very near the downtown area. The first bridge, a timber trestle, was completed in 1889, and included a swing span. It was designed mostly by the CPR, and later included streetcar tracks. The bridge went through three transitions, as updates were made to facilitate traffic flow into the city.
 

Granville Street Bridge, Vancouver, BC Canada - WC

***

Lions Gate Bridge

The Lions Gate Bridge, officially called the First Narrows Bridge, is one of the most picturesque bridges in Vancouver, especially when lights illuminate the suspension cables at night. Opening in 1938, the bridge crosses Burrard Inlet and connects Vancouver to the North Shore, the City of North Vancouver and West Vancouver. The name 'Lions Gate' references The Lions, a pair of mountain peaks north of Vancouver which can be seen from the city.


Lions Gate Bridge - WC* (taken from a floatplane) Vancouver, BC Canada


In 2005, the Lions Gate Bridge was named a National Historic Site of Canada. A pair of cast concrete lions are placed on either side of the approach to the bridge and also on the road in Stanley Park which passes over the causeway of the Lions Gate Bridge.

***

IronWorkers Memorial Bridge (Second Narrows)


The Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing, alternately called the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, or the Second Narrows (original name) is the second bridge that crosses the Burrard Inlet in Vancouver, BC. This bridge connects Vancouver to the north shore of Burrard Inlet, North Vancouver, and West Vancouver, just as the Lions Gate Bridge does.



Ironworkers Memorial/Second Narrows, Vancouver, BC, Canada - WC

On June 17, 1958, several spans collapsed as a crane attempted to join the two chords of the arch. Seventy-nine workers fell 100 feet (30 meters) into the water.  Eighteen workers were killed instantly or died soon after. In a Royal Commission inquiry, the collapse was attributed to an engineering miscalculation.

In total, nineteen died in the collapse, along with four other workers during construction. Stomping Tom Connors paid a tribute to the fallen ironworkers with the song, The Bridge Came Tumbling Down on his 1972 album.  In addition, Jimmy Dean in 1962, a country singer, sang Steel Men, a ballad about the Second Narrows bridge disaster.


***

Are you a person who loves bridges? Do you have any favorites where you live? or in other cities? Do you know of any other bridges associated with songs?

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here, and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by and I apologize for my absence but I am hovering and checking out other blogs when I can!

***

References:

Image of Burrard Street Bridge
GFDL, Free Art License
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrard_Bridge

Burrard Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrard_Bridge

Image of the Granville Street Bridge
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;...A copy of the license is included in the section entitled GNU Free Documentation License

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_Street_Bridge


Lions Gate Bridge Image

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; ...A copy of the license is included in the section entitled GNU Free Documentation License.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions_Gate_Bridge

Image of Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic license

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironworkers_Memorial_Second_Narrows_Crossing

***

Bridges of Vancouver, BC, Canada
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=iwH9Ur-MBMrP8geJnIGADQ&gws_rd=cr#q=The+bridges+of+Vancouver+BC

***

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree, Alex. Sorry I've been absent from your blog.

      Delete
  2. I do love bridges too. You can't get on or off Cape Cod w/o crossing the Bourne or Sagamore. Coming back from college in Maine, I always knew I was almost home when we got to the Mystic Bridge in Boston. I've been on the Tappan Zee and George Washington bridges in NY too.

    And of course living in the SF Bay Area, you have the iconic Golden Gate, Bay Bridge, San Mateo, Dumbarton and the super long Richmond/San Rafael, which I crossed for years when I worked in the east bay. And I crossed the Gate for years when I worked in downtown SF but lived in Marin. Then living in Washington you had the Tacoma Narrows Bridge...the first of which collapsed shortly after it opened. 'Gallopin Gertie' it was called b/c of the way it undulated and twisted in the wind. When I went to Vancouver I crossed whichever bridge is the main highway you take down to the border....Highway 99 I guess it is. And also Lions Gate when I went to NoVan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like bridges JoJo, I remember the rail bridge shots you took. I showed them to hubs.

      Delete
  3. Those are all pretty spectacular, but I absolutely love the Art Deco style of that Burrard Bridge. And I do love bridges, but in a landlocked place like Colorado we don't exactly have many around here... well, unless you count this one amazing beauty. The view is breathtaking... literally, if you're terrified of heights.

    The Royal Gorge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I like that Royal Gorge bridge. It's that tingly thrill of fear that makes us like looking down. . . It reminds me of our swing bridge at Capilano Canyon on the north shore here.

      Delete
  4. The Lions Gate Bridge is in a beautiful setting. I love traveling across bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an older bridge but I love it too. Lots of greenery here. . .

      Delete
  5. Those are nice bridges. Beautiful pictures. The Bidwell Bar Bridge in Oroville, CA, is near my home and is beautiful to look at. Awesome view of the lake and hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes the effect of soaring over the scene below (and better if you aren't the driver. . .) I like most bridges I've seen.

      Delete
  6. I always get to drive bridges in the pouring rain! No fun there! There's one bridge I hate that must be at 60 degree angle!! Ouch.

    I like the Art Deco Bridge and the Lions Gate Bridge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a steep bridge! What's the name of it and is it in New Orleans or thereabouts?

      Delete
  7. A bridge is so much more than just a bridge, love them! Both the Narrows are beautiful, but the first has to be the first on account of its uniqueness.

    Hope all is well with you :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Nila, as always, and the Burrard Bridge has always been a fave of mine. It faces English Bay, as well, making it very picturesque.

      Delete
  8. I do love bridges. My favorite one was a wooden bridge in Vermont we had to cross over on the way to college.

    My second favorite one is the Mount Hope Bridge in RI that I had to cross to get home. Over the ocean. Miss it.

    Love the pic of the first bridge up top. I adore old architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you can remember so many, Anne. I like most bridges except for those old wooden ones that made a lot of noise as you go over them, and maybe swinging rope bridges. . .

      Delete
  9. I adore bridges, especially old ones. I'm fascinated by the main bridge in Verona, Italy, which was bombed during WW2. After the war, the citizens retrieved as many of the original bricks they could and they rebuilt it! Made it very special in that gorgeous red-gold-brick city.

    Also as I read your post I was thinking of the movie and the book of The Bridges of Madison County. Loved that story.

    I hope all goes well for you and hubs DG. Look forward to an update soon.

    I'm enjoying the tail end of my summer holidays. Back to the city on the weekend and back to teaching a week later. Then it all starts again.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridges can be romantic, Denise, and they can be ideal for a setting. The engineering involved in making and building a bridge of any kind boggles my mind. . .but my heart will always be with the bridges of Paris.

      Delete
  10. I like bridges though most of the time don't notice them when I'm crossing them unless they really have unique features. We have a few around the L.A. area that are pretty cool and often show up in movies, like the bridge that crosses over to San Pedro (I forget what they call it) and another near downtown (maybe the 7th street bridge?).

    Bridge songs? "Bridge Over Trouble Waters", but I don't know what bridge that was. Then I think Simon and Garfunkel did something like "59th Street Bridge Song" or something like that which was also known as "Feeling Groovy". Oh, and we can't forget "Ode to Billie Joe" where the Tallahatchee Bridge figured predominately into the song.

    Now you've got me trying to think of bridge songs.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of associations we can make with bridges, Lee. I like the idea of standing above the flowing water, something that can take our cares away. Of course that doesn't apply to new huge multi-lane bridges that we see now. I know all the songs you mentioned, too, but liked the Simon and Garfunkle better than the Ode. . .

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.