Thursday, March 1, 2012

Statuary at the Louvre - A Study in Stone

Paris, France


Inner Courtyard and Entrance to the Louvre by DG Hudson


If you've never been to the Louvre Museum in Paris, this photo study will give you a peek inside at some of the works on display when we visited in Autumn 2010.  Known for acquiring a broad range of art works, the Louvre's collection encompasses paintings, artifacts and statuary. 



Antiquities, Louvre Museum, Paris, photo by DG Hudson

The Louvre Museum is welcoming, allowing the visitor room to walk, sit or browse, (after you buy your ticket).  All exhibits are well organized and many of the statuary are placed to allow viewing up close.  This museum is huge and requires lots of walking, up stairs, down stairs and around the corners.  Different wings of the building are dedicated to specific time periods or various civilizations. 


Below is a corner of the ceiling enhanced with gilding, painted images and deep windows.


Ceiling detail Louvre Museum, Paris by DG Hudson


Don't miss the floors in this beautiful gallery.  A palace first, the Louvre was built to house a king and the details of its structure attest to its past.  Murals cover the walls at the top of the a stairway, and a huge Sphinx sits in a corridor, just waiting to be admired. 



Original Palace Foundations of the Louvre -Photo by DG Hudson


Don't miss the basement of the Louvre where the foundations of the original palace can be seen.  They give a hint of the age of the building, while the model shows the medieval design. 


Model of early Louvre Palace, photo by DG Hudson



Below is one of the must-see statues at the Louvre, Winged Victory; I've cropped out all the visitors who were at its feet, but there were many admiring this sculpture.



The Nike of Samothrace, or Winged Victory c.190 BC - photo by DG Hudson


The woodwork and design of the ceiling in some of the gallery halls, the multilayering of marble on the statues, and the detail on some of the columns make it difficult to know where to look first.  It's definitely a feast for the eyes and the camera.


Near the entrance to the Louvre Antiquities, by DG Hudson


Statues of different sizes, and of different cultures are displayed in a very satisfying manner for the viewer.  Exhibits can vary as to how noisy or crowded they might be, as the tour guides lead their groups through.  There are quiet exhibits with students sitting and drawing the statues or studying the paintings.  It's nice to see that art students are still sent to the galleries to study the masters.




In Main Gallery, A man rests, by DG Hudson


The sunlight made a play of light and shadow on these ladies.  Hairdos don't seem to have really changed that much.

Statuary with hair and dress details, Louvre, Paris by DG Hudson

Some exhibits encompass an entire room, with artifacts of the same time period,  like a room in an old castle.  Note the floor in the photo below and the mantel to the right.




Antiquities, Louvre Museum, Paris by DG Hudson


Another partial sculpture below is slightly larger than life size.  The statue is carved with such finesse that the headdress seems touchable.  It's tucked into a niche in one of the main galleries.

Antiquities at the Louvre, Paris by DG Hudson

Walk slowly through this museum or you'll miss something.  Look up, then down, at the walls and along the aisles.  Art is literally everywhere in this unique gallery.  For more details, check

Louvre Museum Home Page http://www.louvre.fr/en  

The Louvre Museum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3%A9e_du_Louvre


****
How about you?  Do you go to museum/galleries to see art or natural history, flight museums, car museums? 

Please share in the comments if you know of unique or interesting museums that you've seen. 

38 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I've been through Charles de Gaulle airport once for a connecting flight, but have never been to France other than that. I would love to visit Paris and the Louvre, and take a wine tour in Bordeaux. Someday, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CDG Airport is the one we landed in, too. A taxi met us at the airport and drove us into Paris.

      I highly recommend visiting Paris and the Louvre, and we found the prices were comparative to what we pay at home. We were within a 10 minute walk of the Louvre, walking at Paris speed.

      A wine tour sounds nice. Maybe next time. Thanks for stopping by, Rick.

      Delete
  2. I could just get lost in a place like that. I went to Paris years ago but never made it to the Louvre Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you mean Alex, since you have an art background. (so do I, but not in web design)

      The Louvre is art heaven not only because of the quantity of art but because you don't feel as restricted as other galleries can make you feel. The French love their art and they make it affordable and accessible. In Paris, on certain days of the month, entrance is free in many of the galleries.

      You and your wife will love Paris, Alex.

      Delete
  3. Hi D.G.,
    I just wanted to reply to your comment on my blog regarding serendipity. I read your post on this topic and I love the vignettes you shared. I especially loved the one about bears and the midnight owl on New Year's Eve. Now, that's really a serendipitous event. Thank you for sharing your post with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I like the idea of being at the right place at the right time. That's what happened when you found your namesake book.

      Delete
  4. I would love to visit the Louvre some day. I'm so envious. That's probably the only thing I miss about not living in a larger city, art museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get there, M. It's a gorgeous building that's loaded with paintings, statues, small carvings, artifacts and decoration, etc. It takes more than one visit of several hours.

      The other museum that we visited, the Musee D'Orsay was a train station in its younger days. Remember Hugo, the movie? Visit that one too, if you get the chance.

      Delete
  5. The Louvre sounds like an amazing place! :) Loved seeing the pictures of it.

    The most interesting museum I've been to is probably the Metropolitan in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see the Metropolitan in NYC. Have you written about it? (any posts?)

      Thanks, Golden Eagle for flying over. Glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  6. Welcome Ellie, thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there once. I wish I could have seen so much more of it. I think I speedwalked(obviously that isn't the correct spelling!) through it to see as much as possible. My favorite....statues!
    I saw your blog link on the A to Z Challenge and stopped over. I'm now following!!
    Giggle, Laugh, Cry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and Thanks for the follow.

      It's nice to meet someone who also appreciates the various statues inside and outside the centuries old buildings in Paris. Such a rich assortment.

      I'm now following your blog and left a comment on yours.

      Delete
  8. I've been to Paris, Texas but never been to France. The photos are great--I'd love to make it to the Louvre one day.
    I used to go to museums a lot, haven't been to any in a while.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Voting for A to Z Video Contest Now Open

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee for dropping by and glad you liked the photos. Paris, Texas? Hadn't heard of that one. I like to visit museums to see what that culture values.

      If you get a chance, don't miss going, the Louvre is the best museum I've visited.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this interesting and enlightening trip to France. I haven't visited more than three museums (all of them local) but I'm fascinated by the pieces of history that have been preserved for our knowledge and pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for the follow, JL. I always consider museums as a type of history lesson, and I get to choose what I study.

      Delete
  10. Love these pictures, a slice of history or ages past fascinates me.
    Maybe one of these will inspire a poem or a piece of fiction. Thanks for the visit and follow.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rek, I feel the same about history.

      I took lots of photos for that very reason - inspiration for writing. Also, to document history, as even Oscar Wilde's tomb has changed since I captured it with my camera.

      Thanks back to you for the follow and comment.

      Delete
  11. I went to the Louve about 30 years ago. We spent two days walking around and I doubt we saw everything. I'd like to have about a week to browse through it.

    Great pictures and histories. Truly makes me want to go back.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Donna.

      A week sounds about right for the Louvre; I didn't get to see everything either.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photographs - each one capable of inspiring an interesting tale. Thank you for sharing.

    New follower here. I'm trying to get a head start on visiting my fellow "A to Z"ers. I'm really enjoying your blog and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome, Sylvia, and thanks for the follow. I'm glad you like the photos. That's something you'll see a lot of here.

    I've been checking out blogs too, and researching post material. Hope to see you during the April challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I visited the Louvre, the courtyard was bare of the crystal pyramid. Artists had their easels set up copying the Rembrandts. Thank you for sharing your pictures.
    (I am making my initial rounds of A to Z Challengers.)
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love museums of all types and go for so many reasons. These are great photos and I sort of feel like I have been to the Louvre. Thanks for stopping by on A-Z. I'll be back.
    Pam

    Quig Land
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty
    Pirate Knitting

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to visit the Louvre. I enjoy visiting museums (art, science, history), monuments, gardens, historic buildings/sites, aquariums, zoos and theme parks/attractions of a large spectrum. One fascination I have in particular is volcanoes - I have visited ones in Hawaii, Mt. Hood in Oregon, Mt. Vesuvius & Pompeii in Italy, and Mt. Fuji in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, J., tell me more about volcanoes. You've visited some of the more famous sites. Pompeii has always intrigued me. Have you ever written about your observations?

      Thanks for stopping by, J. and see you on the A-Z Challenge!

      Delete
  17. Wow! Amazing pictures! Definitely on my list of places I would like to go, thanks for sharing those!
    We love going to museums:) In fact, when I lived in Milwaukee County, we could get into the huge, 3 story one downtown for free on Mondays. I would go all the time with my daughter, who was under 5 at the time. She still remembers it almost 6 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome to my blog! Thanks for following, too. I hope your daughter continues to visit other museums. We can learn so much from seeing artifacts of another time.

      Delete
  18. I have been to the Louvre but Paris is so tiring and I didn't see it as well as you - will have to go back armed with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to plan a trip with the online facilities now. That's what I did, research and email.

      Thanks for the follow, susan! I put my Paris info under the 'Paris Post' tab. Be sure to check back during the April A-Z Challenge for more.

      Delete
  19. Very nice photos. I visited in '05, and I couldn't believe how small the Mona Lisa really is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a surprise to most people but I studied Mona Lisa for a few minutes after I got close to the rope divider. She definitely has a knowing smile.

    Thanks for stopping by Milo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos! I'm just stopping by to say hello before the A-Z challenge begins. Glad to see you'll be playing along. I'm a new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Martha and thanks for following. Glad you like the photos, and yes I've been prepping my posts for the A to Z.

      Lucky you, getting to live in Florida!

      Delete
  22. Excellent photos. Thank you. See you at A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there. Thanks for following and dropping by, Farawayeyes.

      More photos to come in the A to Z.

      Delete
  23. Nice post! I just came across your blog via the A-Z Challenge and I can't wait to read your posts! I now follow you :)

    Please check out my blog over at yadinbromberg.blogspot.com

    Good luck throughout the month!
    Cheers!
    -Yadin

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.