Saturday, December 14, 2013

VANCOUVER - Snow of Winters Past

Christmas Day can be green or white in our city. It can snow in the suburbs, or only in pockets of the Vancouver region.


Stanley Park Snowy Seawall, Vancouver Snow photos*


Our BC Coastal mountains usually boast white peaks on sunny days, but during the dark winter days, we can't always see our mountains through the fog or rain in the city. Vancouver weather is generally much milder than the rest of Canada, including the rest of BC. We have warm ocean currents to thank for that, as well as the protection of Vancouver Island.



Snowy logs at English Bay, Vancouver Snow photos*

These images are in the Downtown area of Vancouver. What do we think of icy bridges, unplowed streets, and inexperienced drivers? Don't ask.



Robson Square, Downtown Vancouver Snow Photos* 


Lights Shining in the Harbour

Christmas lights and holiday carolling on marine vessels are a tradition in the Vancouver Harbour, the Fraser River and other marine spots. Tugboats, paddlewheelers, smaller boats and ships show their lights in the night. Paddlewheelers on the Fraser River previously offered a 'lunch with Santa cruise' for the younger children.



Lights on Holiday Boats, Vancouver, Vanc'r Snow Photos*

*The images in this post were taken during different years and originate at the links shown below. So far this December, we've had one dusting of snow.

Snow Update: As of December 20, we have had about five inches more of that wet snow deposited. It hangs heavy on the trees, weighing their branches downward. The snow's weight also disrupted a few power lines and traffic. Rain is supposed to follow.

***

Do you take snow photos? Does your city have a lighting display down your Main Street or on bridges? Is there snow where you live?

Please share your comments! I'm always listening. Thanks to those who stop by often or even occasionally to offer their insight and comments. The gift of your time throughout the year is appreciated. I hope you'll hang around in 2014.

***

Happy Holidays!
Wishing you a warm, safe and comforting holiday.


Santas and Model Train, by DG Hudson

***

References:

*The sites showing these photos and others:

http://www.seevancouversnow.com/ Vancouver Snow Festival site

http://www.seevancouversnow.com/stanleypark/stanleypark.htm Stanley Park in the Snow.

http://www.seevancouversnow.com/gastown/gastown.htm Gastown, in Vancouver, BC.

***

30 comments:

  1. The lights on the boats are cool.
    I bet our drivers are even more inexperienced with snow than yours. If there is a threat of snow, the entire town shuts down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that might be a good thing, Alex. You need to know how to drive in it. It's dangerous when ice gets underneath the snow.

      Delete
  2. Not much snow here in San Diego! We go to Michigan for that. Great shots -- especially the Santas + train. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the Santas, Milo. I'm sure Michigan gets lots more snow than us. We just get the slushy slippery stuff, enough to be annoying. We don't have the -30 degree weather of our Prairies, or the wind.

      Delete
  3. Having grown up in one, I will always love a coastal city. I know you live in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lights on the ship reminded me of our gambling riverboats on Lake Charles. I love snow -- if I don't have to get out in it and drive!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. love you pics, i am surprised you have only had a dusting thus far---i am not a fan of snow, but to love to take pictures during the snow we get--which has not happened yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is fun when you're a kid, but it can be dangerous for driving. I know, I had to learn to drive in our messy wet snow.

      Delete
  6. Now that I'm in Georgia, I really miss the snow! I'd have to say, though, I don't miss driving in it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope you enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! Hope you enjoy your Southern Christmas! Loved that spare sock post at your place. .

      Delete
  7. When I lived in California the Marinas were all decorated. I loved the Christmas boat parade.

    Out here in the mid-west, we have a Christmas carol train all decorated and rolls through with carolers singing at each small stop.

    My city is a flyspeck but it's a decorated one, lol!

    http://siamckye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love that, Sia. A decorated flyspeck is much better than a dull, grumpy flyspeck. . . It shows a sense of humor and tradition. I'd like that train - we like all trains big or small.

      Delete
  8. No snow in Los Angeles, but like you we can often see snow on the mountains in winter if the visibility is good.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny LA, where it's never cold? I would have been surprised, for sure if snow did happen there.

      Delete
  9. It made the city look beautiful. I miss seeing snow. We had it so often in ABQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is beautiful to see, hazardous to drive in, but I do like snow pix. . . I was amazed at the first big snow I saw here until I found out they have ten foot drifts further north.

      Delete
  10. Oh I love the lights on the harbor. Beautiful! I've always wanted to visit Vancouver and each time I come to your blog I feel that even more.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I hope you have a wonderful holiday too!
      Maybe one day we'll see you here in Vancouver. . .

      Delete
  11. Happy Holidays to you! In our closest city they have a night parade and then a waterfront parade with boats and lights-so beautiful! I love all that you shared-you post reminds me of home-Maine. I am always homesick in the autumn and winter~ Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can remind you of pleasant memories. Maine has always appealed to me - I like the coastal areas. Stay well.

      Delete
  12. I always think of Vancouver as the home of "Supernatural." Living on the Red Sea, my city is also protected from the cold the rest of Egypt suffers in the winter. I love your pics, especially the boats with the beautiful lights - gorgeous! Merry Christmas! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the tv production Supernatural, or the tourism logo and slogan featuring our British Columbia?
      How exotic, Lexa, living on the Red Sea. Happy Holiday!

      Delete
  13. Merry Christmas, D.G!!!!

    LOVE your pics!!!!! So pretty. I LOVE SNOW PICS and take many every year.

    I live in Chicago and we have lots of snow during the winter. Today, Christmas morning, there was a fine dusting gracing the trees in the park I live across from.

    Nothing liike waking up to snow on Christmas mooring.

    I hope you have a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Michael! Our snow is nearly all gone. Glad you got a dusting, like a sprinkling of sugar. Those photos of Vancouver snow are from the city archives, not mine, taken at different years. Glad you liked them!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos! I love the idea of lighted boats. We light our houses, trees, bushes, fences, etc. here. Though people think of CO as snowy all winter, the fact is we'll get a good snow, but it's gone in a few days because the powerful sun comes out and we'll have a 50-60 degree day. We had that kind of Christmas this year. I wore a mini-skirt and tank-top (first of all, everyone keeps their houses too warm and we were going to my sister's) on Christmas Eve, and a tank-top and flip-flops on Christmas Day when we were mostly at home as a family, but I did go visit a friend briefly. It was a beautiful and sunny day.
    Growing up in Sweden the story was completely different. It would snow, and it would stay, then it would snow some more, and stay, It was wonderful. We could cross-country ski out of our garage and around wherever we wanted. Of course, we rarely saw the sun...very short days, in even in Gothenburg, which is fairly far south.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thanks for being such a faithful reader and commenter. You are much appreciated, D.G.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CO sounds a bit like Vancouver. Most of the time our snow doesn't stay either. I like it that way. Whenever you stop by, Tina, is fine. See you in the new year!

      Delete
  15. I'm certainly seeing more snow this year than most down here. I'd love to check out Vancouver one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful city, especially in the sun, when you can see the mountains that surround us (our ski runs). We're having a green Christmas this year, that snow above is past.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.