Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Far Future Tales on Tamut - Sci-Fi WEP Challenge

Happy Year's End - Spacer Celebration!!
Morgan's Early Life on Tamut

Image from an observatory


STAR DATE: 13001, 13th month Galactic Calendar

It's Spacer Celebration time! That's the way most Tamutians celebrate the end of the year - what the ancient ones called Christmas and the New Year. Now it's one year end holiday.


There's no jolly fat old man that distributes toys, candy and other frivolous stuff. Most kids don't even know the old stories like I do. Mother gave me three books from the Terran archives, before she was declared missing:  'The Mouse before Christmas', 'A Grinch saves the Day', and 'Stockings on the Mantel'.

I hate this time of year.  I never get to go to the Tamutian End of the Year celebration. Uncle doesn't approve of it.  Just one - why can't I go to just one? 

Our Tamutian forefathers wanted us to appreciate our own beginnings and revere our Spacer ancestors, the old time space captains who came on the original colony ship to settle here. Spacer Joe looked like that old comic book hero Flash Gordon. A kid can relate to a spacer who came from an old world to discover a new planet. With laser guns, and a fast starship, Spacer Joe beats a flying chariot pulled by reindeer, whatever they were. If the colonists brought reindeer with them on the mother
ship, they must have eaten them or maybe they just died. Tamut didn't have any, we knew that for sure.

***

Dak, my best friend, called me and asked if I could go with him to the celebration this year. He told me about the laser light show, and the rockets exploding for the new year. There were copies of the antique spacer ships on display and real-life space pilots to talk to.

"It's one of the biggest shows for kids. We would have a great time and my dad said you could stay over one night, if you were allowed to.  Please, please try. Maybe this time he'll soften up."

"I'll ask, but Uncle never lets me do anything." My stomach churned. 

"But, this is our history. He's got to let you go. He doesn't have to do anything, my parents will take care of us."

I knocked on the library door; I knew Uncle liked to read in the evenings. I want to go to that Spacer Celebration so bad I could taste it.

It didn't matter. Uncle's way was the only way. He wouldn't listen to me


"Uncle said no, Dak. His exact words were, 'Morgan, you have better things to do than waste time watching rockets explode'."

Yeah, like what? Study?"

My friend went with another school mate of ours.

Just you wait, Uncle, I'll find some way to get off this planet.  Just like my parents did. . .one day it will happen. When the stars call, you have to listen. 

***

Ten years later, I did just that. 

HAPPY YEAR'S END!

***
WC = 494

Observatory Images

***

DECEMBER 16-19: WEP Challenge



1000 words or less in your choice of Flash Fiction, Poetry, Non-Fiction, Playscripts, Artwork, and Photography

For this challenge, we want you to give your favorite celebration a Science Fiction twist. This month's judge is Alex J. Cavanaugh, author of the Cassa Series and 'Dragon of the Stars'.


Take us out of this world with a story told in whatever mode you prefer: fiction or non-fiction, poems, photography, artwork.  For links to more stories and details about the WEP challenges, see the WEP Page: Write, Edit, Publish Thanks to the host bloggers: Denise Covey and Yolanda Renee.

***
Can you imagine what a few centuries could change in our society? Do you like what you envision? Would we still have stress? What do you think?


Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond! Thanks for dropping by! And don't forget to check the WEP Challenge page for other stories.

***

41 comments:

  1. I think stress is only going to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way, JoJo. The more we can do (with tech) seems to make us want to do more. Human interactions likely won't change and that is the root of a lot of stress.

      Delete
  2. It would be interesting to see if Christmas is still celebrated five hundred years from now. It's hard to believe that the tradition would disappear, but I'm sure it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New generations which reject their parents teachings could well result in changes. Would the children 500 years from now believe in a tradition that originated when things were rustic and beliefs were simple?

      Delete
  3. The more things change.
    Different time, different planet, different technology - but the family tensions remain.
    I loved this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you saw that I focused on the emotions humans feel, as characters are important in my writing. Morgan, the kid relating this story, is exceptional and his uncle wants to protect him.

      Delete
  4. That's a long way into the future, but I bet kids are just the same. Glad he finally got off the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has many adventures waiting for him, Alex. He's special in many ways. This is a side story for my scifi novel. All the action takes place when he's an adult.

      Delete
  5. Great story, if a little sad. Sometimes our wishes take time to be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure, wishes do seem to take their time. And patience is something most people don't have.

      Delete
  6. Some things don't change, eh? We always want to get out of our small town, or off a planet, LOL. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way. I wanted to see other areas other than my birthplace. I wanted to visit the big cities and other countries.

      Delete
  7. Hi D.G. I'm glad that so far into the future there are at least 3 Christmas books surviving. I wonder why Uncle is so against the celebrations? Maybe he should have taken the narrator just once so he could see what the fuss was all about. And are there repercussions if you don't attend? Lots of directions this story could go in D.G. It could make a great novel. No doubt we want to know more about this celebration and what's going to happen in the future.

    Thanks for participating in WEP this busy holiday season, D.G.

    Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncle is a retired military intelligence officer and he has many secrets. Some of those are about Morgan, the person telling the story. Uncle is a career bachelor and doesn't understand a child's vision of the world.

      Delete
    2. And Merry Christmas, hope your holidays are the best!

      Delete
  8. Great images! Hi D G, it's wonderful to know this is part of a larger piece. You can't keep the explorer from exploring. I used to have that mentality, loved adventure. Now toned way down. :)

    I understand Morgan's desire, but parents and uncles can be controlling. I'd love to understand the uncle's resistance, so keep us informed regarding the release of your book. I think a message that has endured over 2000 years would still exist in the future with changes of course. Celebrating the discoverer or founder of the planet sounds right. It's sad that so many books haven't made it into the future, I was looking forward to mine being on a shelf many, many years from now. But Flash Gordon made it, so I shouldn't complain, and his Uncle is a reader so that's a good sign too. Can't wait to learn more about this world, and the universe that Morgan gets to explore!

    Thanks for participating in the WEP Holiday Celebrations Challenge.

    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Holiday and a prosperous and peace-filled New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Societies will evolve and pickup and discard belief systems as needed. (at least in my worlds) Hope your holiday is enjoyable, too, and Best wishes for 2016! Hope the WEP challenges continue. . .

      Delete
  9. It is interesting to think that people could travel to another planet and then forget all about their culture, sad too. It was sad that his mother was declared missing. Then later you mention the parents left because they wanted to explore other places. So this makes me think they left and his mother wasn't really missing. Was that just a line used by the government? that she was missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the main story of the novel, the parents were on an exploration mission and were reported lost - never showed up at the recovery pickup point. But his parents worked on the starship because it was their job and they were able to travel. Children were not allowed to travel as bones still formative.

      Delete
  10. This was a great story! I love all the cultural references that show just how much history has been forgotten. That was brilliantly handled. History truly is a tricky thing to get a handle on.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I wonder how our current history will appear to our descendants. . .

      Delete
  11. Great invoking of a facet of human nature: we long to break away from home to be adult and blaze our own trails. Still it is ironic so many older adults pine for a childhood gone too soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's especially true, Roland, when a child doesn't get to enjoy its childhood for whatever reason (family trauma, family in survival mode, etc) Hopefully we won't lose our human natures as we go forward and evolve.

      Delete
  12. Your story, of course, is short and sweet. It's pleasant and I believe you have an able handle on your genre. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  13. DG, just wanted you to know your work is mentioned in the online newletter The Review Here. Here's the link:
    http://paper.li/ReviewFromHere?edition_id=f41bcce0-a51f-11e5-b992-0cc47a0d164b
    Congratulations! Your work and a few others, tweeting does get the word out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yolanda, I went to the link but couldn't access any article, likely because I'm not on Twitter. . .

      Delete
  14. what runs in the blood
    who knows not I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no one knows how we will think and celebrate milleniums down the road! Thanks, I'll be by to visit soon.

      Delete
  15. Forbidden love, forbidden adventures, poor child. Good thing she finally achieved her dreams. This was sweet and sort of nostalgic DG. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgic? I meant for it to show the frustration which Morgan (male) endured, and his reasons for wanting to excel in his work.

      Delete
  16. Hi DG - lots to think about here - I was wondering what had happened to the parents ... and then Morgan - he will introduce new aspects into the story.

    We just don't know the future do we - how far we will have gone, and whether the human species will survive ... I'm sure we will, but we'll evolve - and our traditions and cultures of today will be written in star dust for others to find and ponder over ...

    Obviously there's a bigger story for you to write in due time ... and you will ... cheers and have a peaceful and happy Christmas - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on book 2 of this story, Hilary, and it's coming together slowly. I think traditions change over time for various reasons.

      Delete
  17. Loved the spirit of young Morgan. An adult trying to control a child never works out. Well written.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan just wants to be a normal kid and do normal kid things. His uncle protects him as he is the only family he has, and Uncle has ulterior motives.

      Delete
  18. What a great story, and very cool that it's a side story of a WIP. I already get a great sense of adventure, and what's sci-fi without some rebellious resistance to authority (even if that authority is just a stubborn uncle)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ABFTS, this story has grown to book 2 now and Morgan is indeed travelling around the planets in his solar system. I have big plans for Morgan.

      Delete
  19. You're very skilled at taking your readers on magical adventures. I enjoyed this.

    Thanks for your supportive words on my blog.

    Have a great Holiday Season, DG.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome job, DG! You had me there. Want to read more of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi D.G. and a happy New Year! It's just me catching up with what I missed last month.

    The Uncle sounds a Grinch/Scrooge type character himself! Why so insistent on spoiling Morgan's fun? poor kid. Glad he makes it off the planet and gets to see all he wants.

    While our traditions/belief systems will no doubt change and evolve with time, the kid-adult dynamic and the generation gap will likely remain. Some things never change :)

    Thanks for a great read, as always.

    Best,
    Nila.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, D.G.

    Happy New Year...

    I really enjoyed your FF... well done. The emotion of poor Morgan wanting to go was so convincing. SO is her determination to get off that planet...

    Looks like the beginning of a terrific novella or even novel.

    Hope you had a lovely holiday and all the best for 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.