Sunday, December 13, 2015

French Quarter Nocturne by R. Yeomans - A Review

How do you fix something once it's broken? Piece by piece.


Roland Yeomans' novel, 'French Quarter Nocturne'

FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE

A city devastated, law and order tossed to the gutter, and citizens abused by thugs - this is what faced the two men who wanted to make things right, or at least as right as they could be. As the men survey the damage, the shadows from the edge of the darkness start to become annoying, hovering like vultures waiting to pounce. 

Muddy stains marked the sides of houses, while children's toys and dead bodies floated among the debris flung inward by Katrina. The only hope for the people in this part of the city is Sam McCord and Father Renfield. When Sam tries to help the people in need, he is rebuffed initially by some who have become bitter waiting for relief from Washington. They were left without water, food or adequate shelter until the government and its associated relief groups were shamed into doing what should have been done immediately. 

This is the setting in which French Quarter Nocturne takes place. It tells a tale woven of the things most of us didn't see when Katrina came to town in New Orleans. News trucks couldn't get into many of the areas, and those who did know what was happening turned a blind eye.

Roland has captured that feeling of loss, of the fear of the helpless and the weak in a city which the water tried to claw back. . .and the one man who was brave enough to take some action. This book will hold your attention as it reminds us you must never assume that the powers that be (in reality, not fiction) will be there when you need them. Recommended reading if you like paranormal stories set in interesting locales, with history based elements.

****
The Author - Roland Yeomans
Roland's Blog - Writing in the Crosshairs



This prolific author has many titles to entice you. The formats are Kindle e-books, Audio, and some print titles. Check his blog page and see what might appeal to you. I like the New Orleans and the Egyptian stories, but I have read much of Roland's work, and he never fails to teach me something about mythology, American Native legends and history. 

***
Have you read any of Roland's work? Do you have a favorite novel? Which characters do you like? Do you like New Orleans history? 

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here, and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by!

Be sure to come back on December 16th to read my WEP entry (Write, Edit, Publish). The theme for December is Out of this world Christmas stories (Science Fiction). 

***
Reference:

Roland's Blog, Writing in the Crosshairs,

***

26 comments:

  1. I've not read any of his books before. Overall I'm not a huge fan of New Orleans or really anything in the southern USA. I could not stand Anne Rice's books. I've never been to NO and it's never been on my bucket list either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did want to see New Orleans, especially the jazz district, and my sister did visit there a few years ago. It's the history of the city that would attract me. We all have our fave places, JoJo, and at least you're honest. I have read one of Anne Rice's books, but probably won't be in a hurry to read more. It didn't appeal to me that much. Roland's books are another kettle of fish, however, with fantasy elements and legends.

      Delete
    2. JoJo, you might enjoy my paranormal tales set in 1895 Egypt with Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and Nikola Tesla.

      Or my paranormal tale set in the Badlands on the filming of the first talking Western in 1927 with Marlene Dietrich, John Ford, Errol Flynn.

      Like D.G. says: We all have locales which turn us off. But the ghost of William Faulkner is sad you write off the entire South. :-) The ghost of Raymond Chandler understands completely! :-)

      D.G. -- thanks for this review. I worked 8 hours straight yesterday and 10 hours straight today!!! In the blinding rain. I am drained.

      This was a greatly appreciated surprise. :-)

      Delete
    3. It's my pleasure to read the books and review them. I still have a few to go. . . and I've also read 4 other books that I'll review after the Christmas WEP challenge.

      Delete
    4. THE STARS BLEED AT MIDNIGHT I wrote mainly for you and Inger. :-)

      Delete
    5. Which was a very gentlemanly thing to do, Roland.

      Delete
    6. It's what one friend does for another. :-) May this new week be healing for you and yours.

      Delete
  2. His other books have been great so I expected nothing less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review. Are you able to write anything at all? This reminds me of how good you both are, you and Roland. Yes, I have read many of his books. Hibbs, The Cub With No Clue and novels set in Egypt are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not doing much novel writing, only flash WEP stories and a few blogposts. I have a goal in mind to get back to it starting in January. You and I both like the Egypt stories, Inger!

      Delete
    2. Inger, you and D.G. are my 2 greatest fans. Thank you both. Isn't D.G. great for doing this?

      I am just starting THE NOT-SO-INNOCENTS ABROAD, starting with flashbacks to Sherman's March through Georgia and the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

      I am only on page 5 so there are miles of pages to go on that one! :-)

      Delete
  4. French Quarter Nocturne sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd like the main character McCord, Sherry, and the women in the stories are no shrinking violets, either.

      Delete
    2. Sherry, there is an audio snippet of it on my blog right now. D.G. is right: I like strong, intelligent female characters -- even the antagonist ones! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi D.G. Hi Roland. French Nocturne is my favourite of Roland's books, I think. I'd love to visit New Orleans. I've seen docos after the flooding and it appears there's a lot of rebuilding to take place yet after Katrina. I think you capture a spirit, an essence, of the place in your books, Roland.

    Thanks for the great review, D.G. (I hope you get back into your writing come January!) I'm having a bit of a writing break. Too hot to do anything much. WEP goes up soon!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, and speaking of documentaries, I watched one about water treatment in Australia, in an effort to combat the dry areas and lack of water during the hot spells. I've seen a few about New Orleans, too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Denise! Sam tips his Stetson to you. (But don't let Meilori know!)

      Being the traveler you are, I think you would like my 1895 Egyptian Historical Fantasies. And the heat in them would fit in with the parched condition of Australia right now!

      Delete
  6. Another good one from Ronald. I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland (a mixup of letters?) Thanks for dropping by to read the review!

      Delete
    2. Well, Ronald has the same letters as Roland -- call me anything but late to dinner!

      I am so happy that you are a fan. I am currently writing another McCord Historical Fantasy set in 1867 with a world cruise on a flying steamboat: THE NOT-SO-INNOCENTS ABROAD. Hopefully it will be out in paperback by April -- hey, I can dream. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi DG and Roland - this must really show up what went on ... it did seem to take ages for people to realise how devastating the whole was. I'm sure this is a great book by Roland - I must try and settle to read Roland's books ...

    That's good to see you're writing another historical fantasy ... sounds fun - the flying steamboat ...

    Thanks for posting DG ..

    All the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reviewed quite a few of Roland's books, so judging by your interest in history, you'd probably like the Egyptian stories, the New Orleans novels, or any McCord stories, Hilary. Roland can recommend which is best to start with.

      Delete
    2. I've reviewed quite a few of Roland's books, so judging by your interest in history, you'd probably like the Egyptian stories, the New Orleans novels, or any McCord stories, Hilary. Roland can recommend which is best to start with.

      Delete
  8. Not a paranormal fan, but your reviews always make books sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.