Friday, June 15, 2012

Rainforest Book Reviews # 8 - SCIFI Spotlight

In the spotlight:  Alex J. Cavanaugh's two books, CassaStar and CassaFire.  This is the story of Byron, an ace pilot with a lonely background and troubled past.  


 Cassastar

Alex J. Cavanaugh, Science Fiction
Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C., 2010



Arriving on the planet Guaard for training, Byron knows this may be his last chance to reach his goal of being a fighter pilot. His current navigator is the only one left who can tolerate him. Senior Officer Bassa notices Byron's piloting skills and learns of his secret ability, a skill only found in a few Cassans. He investigates the young man's background and sees a troubled past that reminds him of his own mistakes.


Through battles with an encroaching enemy and a personal crisis, Byron is forced to step outside himself and worry about others.  When all seems lost, he is determined to right a few wrongs and makes a heroic effort. 


As an introduction to this universe and to the character of Byron, this book succeeds in showing us the growth of the individual.  Alex takes us through the learning curve that Byron must traverse to reach his full potential.  I enjoyed this book, and it provides the background for Alex's second book in this series, released early in 2012.  See below.

http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.ca/  Alex's Blog


***


CassaFire


Alex J. Cavanaugh, Science Fiction
Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C., 2012


In CassaFire, Byron has matured in age and feels his glory days are behind him.  He doesn't want to be reminded of his past misdeeds or accomplishments.   When alien ruins and writings are discovered on the planet Tgren, an exploration ship is dispatched to assist the Tgrens and try to break the alien code.  Initially a little cool to the Cassans, the Tgrens must learn to trust them.


Learning shortly after his arrival that he will be training another pilot, a female with potential for mental powers, Byron is annoyed.  He doesn't easily acknowledge her proficiency.  She wants to get to know him.  He resists.


There's plenty of action and pyrotechnics (primary colours, loud noises, and bright explosions) in the battle scenes.  If you like science fiction and discovering new authors, check out these two books.  See Alex's blog.  He's full of information about film, current books and ninjas.

http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.ca/p/cassafire.html  Alex's Blog


****

Have you read Alex's books?  Do you follow his blog?
Please share any comments you have, and if you don't know Alex, drop by his page to find out more about him.  It's also a nice place to meet other writers and readers.


DG's Note:  After Blogger wiped out two previous attempts at this post and refused to upload images, I was unable to show the separate covers for the two books.  Now, in the right sidebar, I've uploaded a photo showing both covers.   


***

24 comments:

  1. DG, thank you! What an awesome surprise. Really glad you enjoyed the books and hope I can end the trilogy well with the third one.
    You've just started my weekend right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Alex. I was going to email you, but had to run errands first. I tried the photo you sent when CassaFire was released and that wouldn't upload either.

      I finally added a photo of my library copies.

      Delete
  2. These two sound interesting. I haven't read science fiction for ages, but I do read Alex's blog and see him mentioned everywhere around blogger land.
    On a different subject, my blogger friend is not doing any buttons right now, so if you want to copy mine, you are welcome. But one of a starry sky would look better on you blog, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give the new science fiction a try. You'll be surprised at the books coming out these days.

      Thanks for checking about the button, and I think you're right. I'd like a starry sky. I'll do some research on my own.

      Delete
  3. I read the first book, and started the 2nd.


    I'm having blogger troubles, too. All of my posts disappeared when I log in to edit them ... none of them are there. So, I have no idea what's loaded and for when ... Will make next week very interesting.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Blogger isn't just picking on me? Frustrating. Your blog problem outranks mine, though. Hope Blogger resolves all these annoyances soon.

      I've started on your book, Backworlds, M. and will be reviewing it soon.

      Delete
  4. Alex is the man. He makes me tired just looking at him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Bryan! Didn't we wonder about Alex having clones?

      I'm waiting for the 3rd book,now.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree. I liked the addition of a strong female in the second book.

      Delete
  6. Alex's writing style reminds me of Robert Heinlein. Alex is not only a good writer but a friend to all of us in blogdom.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way, and staying to chat awhile. I enjoyed your comment.

    Oh, and a sour smile reflects you know there's humor in the moment somewhere, but you're hurting too much to see it. LOL. Roland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice observation, Roland. I now have to find out what happens NEXT in that series.

      Thanks for the definition. I think I've seen a few of those sour smiles, in the movies of course.

      Delete
  7. Alex IS A NINJA. That's why he's everywhere all at once and never tires. I loved CassaStar. He invented some new sci-fi stuff that's not found all over the place and that was what made it stand out for me. How he combined certain Cassan's special talents with a somewhat standard device used in a lot of other books and movies in a very clever way. I'm looking forward to reading CassaFire, just don't have the time right now, I'm in BuNoWriMo and very behind.
    Anyway, thanks for reviewing my buddy.

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Post A-Z Road trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the BuNoWriMo! I really enjoyed 'CassaFire' and it was my pleasure to review Ninja Capt'n Alex's books. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  8. Hey! I'm just about to sit down and finish reading CassaStar, so I didn't read the second part of this post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair. The second book is my favourite of the two,until the third one comes along. . .

      Delete
  9. Hi DG .. I haven't read Alex' books yet - hope to once I get a Kindle or like sorted out (soon) .. but his blog I subscribe to .. so I keep up with the ever moving Alex ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping to get these for my birthday or at least the credit/money to buy them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like them, J. By the end of the first book, I was hooked. Nice to hear from you again. Hope your holiday was nice.

      Delete
  11. They didn't ask if I was a citizen and a lot of Canadians are signing the petition, I got it off a Canadian blog, so I'm sure it is OK. If they want to use it to change the law, they would have to sort that out later. I really appreciate your willingness to go back and sign it. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who doesn't know Alex? I like science, but don't read much science fiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a lot of buzz about these books. They sound interesting. Thanks for the reviews! I don't read much scifi, but I loved Ender's Game, so maybe I'll give these a try.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.