Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Vancouver Views - Unique West Coast Style

Welcome to a photo tour of objects seen around town. 

SPACE
Vancouverites like to look to the future
Space and beyond
Not that we have any spaceships here, but we like them



Rocket Sculpture, Vancouver, by DG Hudson 




***
VARIETY

Ethnic Diversity
One example seen below
Vancouver has a large Italian community
' Little Italy' centers on Commercial Drive, aka The Drive
(another source says it's also called the 'Mersh' by locals)



Vancouver's typical Italian Corner store, by DG Hudson



***

More ethnic diversity on Hastings Street in Vancouver
Our Chinatown offers many interesting treats and sights
Imposing Doors
Reminiscent of a time past
Iron wrought to a specific style


Vancouver's Distinctive Doors, by DG Hudson



***

EXTERIOR ART

A mural highlighting west coast industry
We have the coastal mountains and waterways
Our trains, planes and ship traffic
But mostly it's about the People who make it work



Vancouver Industry Mural, side wall, by DG Hudson



Just Click!
This post is a short one written in abbreviated style since the photos are the focus. There are always many things we see as we go through our day that we don't photograph. Unique spots capture the personality of a town. They won't always be there, so take as many photographs as you can. Your images may one day prove valuable for historical purposes or for comparing then and now.

Examples: I photographed Sweeney's Cooperage, a long time barrel maker, on one of our photo shoots. It burned to the ground a couple of weeks later in a fire, ending an era at that location. In France, I took photos of Wilde's tomb in 2010; it was different one year later. Time waits for no one. Catch those images when you can.

***

Do you think your town has a personality? Is there a defining feature or history associated with your town? Have you ever taken a photo of something and find the subject has changed since then in some way, or disappeared altogether?

Please share your thoughts in the comments, and thanks for dropping by! I'm working on my posts for the A to Z Challenge, as it starts to come over the horizon. Are you participating this year?

***


25 comments:

  1. The small town near me strives to keep its history intact. Many of the buildings are from the 1800's and a few before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those types of towns are a photographer's dream, Susan.

      Delete
  2. I am terrible about taking pictures. That is ironic, though, because when I was younger I was fabulous at it. I always remembered to bring the camera. Now... I can go on vacation, get there, and realize the camera is at home. Happens all of the time!

    The places I notice the biggest changes are the ones I visit. For instance, the town where I grew up. My brother still lives close to it, but I don't. So, about once a year I return. There are always changes. Some are HUGE and others small. Some are sad. Places that I used to hang out as a teen are just gone, replaced by something else. As you say, time moves on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try the camera again, it's more fun now with digital.

      Delete
  3. I think they are going to tear down the building with the mural of the Tehachapi Loop soon, so I'm glad I have the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post, Inger. That's another example of timely photography.

      Delete
  4. Progress is often regress to me. They're tearing down the building with the Techachapi Loop? Sigh.

    Your photos, as always, are lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in Paris, it's often a citizen's outcry that saves history from 'progress'. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I visited Vancouver when I was a teenager. It was the waterfalls and fountains that caught my eye the most.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is abundant here, MJ, if we just take care of it.

      Delete
  6. Such a great point about how the surroundings we take for granted can -- WILL --- change and even disappear. I'm a huge vacation picture-taker, but need to do more of it locally.

    Vancouver looks so lovely. I hope to make it there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Nicki, I'd love to see your area in photos.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful doors. I live in a small but touristy town and sometimes post fun stuff about the area. And I'd love to visit Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read those posts, mshatch! I've never been to Maine, but New England in general appeals to me.

      Delete
  8. Great photos, as always. I like the rocket ship -- reminds me of Flash Gordon. SoCal has a few distinct personalities: the beach scene, the military presence, the western country folk, the Hollywood influence (fake tans and plastic people).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought of Flash Gordon, too, Milo. Hollywood hasn't changed much, then. That's the 'diversity' needed to populate all those films,

      Delete
  9. I like those doors in China town. I think Atlanta (where I live) has a lot of interesting things to see. I'm only beginning to scratch the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atlanta does have some very interesting spots, Sherry, so I'm looking forward to any posts you do about it.

      Delete
    2. wonderful pics---so true to capture things while we can---here in va. there is a site of abandoned houses and buildings---so glad people are taking the time to photograph them

      Delete
  10. I love this because these are the kinds of things that I like to stop and take in but I can't photograph very well. Mostly because I usually only have my phone on me and look like an idiot snapping a picture of a door with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those photos taken with the iphones are darn good. I've snapped a few that way too. BTW - love that shredder post!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos D.G. I love taking photos and madly photograph everything I see. My hometown has its great spots and has changed a lot over the years. It's always good to go to a photography exhibition of old photos of the hometown too.

    I'm not participating in the A - Z. Have done for years, but I'm concentrating more on writing this year. Good on you. I'll be by to read some of your posts for sure.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do the A to Z last year, but this year I decided to do another go. I hope you will drop by, Denise.

      Delete
  12. The side wall art is pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like murals. I also look at train graffiti (hubs was a train engineer at one time. . .)

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.