Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Stars Bleed at Midnight and A Bear with No Clue!

What's happened in the Human World, if 'The Stars Bleed at Midnight'? Read the follow-up to Death in the House of Life to find outRoland Yeomans has two new books out for your reading pleasure.


In 19th century Egypt. . .intrigue in the desert





“It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed.” Samuel McCord
 
In Roland's words, we find the inspiration behind the story:

We forget that the true monsters are us.

Ever since LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, I have been fascinated by the mysterious desert and the cold-blooded machinations of pompous politicians.  KHARTOUM only intensified my fascination.

My childhood LEAGUE OF FIVE and I stayed up all Saturday night watching ancient black-and-white movies.  We yelled at Flash Gordon to ditch Dale and take up with the evil Princess Ardala.  We scratched our heads over Terry who never fell for the seductive Dragon Lady.

I swore if I ever wrote a book, I would have my hero marry the Dragon Lady. And so Sam McCord is married to the ancient, eternally young Meilori Shinseen to whom ancient Egyptians and Aztecs offered screaming sacrifices.

As a youngster, I was absorbed in Egyptian mythology and the scoffed at theories of Erich von Daniken in CHARIOTS OF THE GODS. I read and re-read AYESHA: SHE by H. Rider Haggard.  I made my Alan Quartermain a cursed Texas Ranger whose belief in the redemptive power of love keeps him married to a being once called Sekhmet.


Sekhmet, Egyptian Goddess
 

I thought of how human nature would remain in long-lived revenants (my vampires, like those of THE STRAIN, are quite different from the clichéd versions.)  They would be driven by all too human lusts of ambition, greed, and vengeance.

I pitted an undead Abigail Adams as the dubious champion of the American revenants against Empress Theodora ruler of Europe’s and Asia’s revenants.  I showed how their basic natures kept them at odds even when it was to their advantage to work together.

Samuel McCord said of this: “I wonder how much harm we do to ourselves and our world simply by getting out of bed in the morning and being ourselves?”

At the heart of this, I put a resurrected mummy child, the actual Princess Shert Nebti, whose body was filled with a pestilence that once released would drag the world into a new Dark Age as did the Black Death.

I mixed these elements against the backdrop of British arrogance, the Egyptian struggle for independence, the fanaticism of Muslim zealots, and the greed of the landed aristocracy.  The seeds of today’s headlines were sown in the Egypt of 1895.

I let all the heartache, misunderstood humanity, and mortal and immortal ambition be seen by the reader through the eyes of a thoughtful, haunted man of honor in a world where compassion is seen as weakness.

Always fascinated by Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, Nikola Tesla, Ada Byron (daughter of Lord Byron), and Winston Churchill, I had them be my hero’s companions on a cursed expedition searching for Pharaoh Tutankhamun. (Or 'Pharaoh Two Tons of Almonds' as Mark Twain insists on calling him.)

In the desert wastes of Egypt lurk things older than Man that hum with mystery … and hunger. 

Join Samuel McCord, his deadly wife, and his bickering companions on this doomed expedition.  See what really causes dogs to howl in the darkness and cats to yowl after midnight.  Read THE STARS BLEED AT MIDNIGHT.  But should you hear long nails scratching at your back door … do not open it!

***

And now, for a detour to a different realm:

"D.G. has suggested I mention my first children's book, HIBBS, THE CUB WITH NO CLUE in MISCHIEF IS AFOOT. Hibbs endorsed that idea, too. Francene Lockett, the narrator for my soon-to-be-released audio book, BRING ME THE HEAD OF McCORD, suggested I write a children's book with Hibbs as the central character. 




 Francene said I fascinated her with the fun but wise tale of the young cub she read for the audio book. Hibbs, modest as always, thought that was a great idea as well. So I wrote HIBBS, THE CUB WITH NO CLUE -- a series of tales that mingles Lakota legends with Celtic mythology. Anything can happen in Hibbs' strange valley. He can fish for catfish ... and catch a dragon, or I should say the dragon catches Hibbs.
 

The Forrest Gump of mystical bear cubs, Hibbs, runs into leprechauns, Asgardian squirrels, insane unicorns, satyrs, and is mentored by the dreaded Turquoise Woman. I wrote the tales in the style of the Lakota storyteller: They do not begin with "Long Ago" or "Once Upon A Time." What happens in those tales is not measured in hours or by time. 
 
 
A place can be "a hundred sleeps away" or "a thousand paces away." They often begin with "Hibbs was in search of berries" as if the tale had just happened or was happening right then. And such is the stuff of magic, that well might be the case!

 
The tales are in no certain order so that a parent or grandparent can pick up the book and read any chapter to their child just before sleep without worrying about continuity. For those out there who just must have continuity, the last 3 tales are loosely linked so that they can be read ... say for a car trip or when a child is ill in bed.

Hibbs hopes you enjoy his short book. It is tiny but anyone who has shared her bed with a mosquito understands the power of small things!" 

***

Order or get more information on these two books at
Roland's Blog. Visiting his blog will reveal to you how many other titles he has available, many of which I've reviewed. I'm a fan of the writing and of the characters, especially Sam McCord. I'll be reviewing The Stars Bleed at Midnight as soon as I'm finished reading it. (DG)


Have you read any of Roland Yeoman's books? Do you have a favorite character? AND Do you know a child who might like to read about a curious little bear with no clue?

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here, and you will get a response from the author, Roland, or me. Thanks for dropping by!


***

References:


http://rolandyeomans.blogspot.ca/ Roland Yeomans' Blog

http://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2010/11/leauge-of-five.html The post on 'The League of Five', a young reading group.

***

45 comments:

  1. Thanks, D.G.! You are one in a million. Still working tonight! Whew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to feature your books, Roland.

      I'm already into reading 'The Stars Bleed at MIdnight' (TSBAM) as I want to know what happens, too.

      Delete
  2. Never mind the children. I loved Hibbs first story and am really, really looking forward to diving into the next. It is sitting here waiting for me.
    And Samuel McCord is right. And I love that he doesn't let it drag him down or make him cynical or bitter and twisted. Things I could most definitely learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love Hibbs. And I wish I had McCord's attitude.

      Delete
  3. You've put many elements in the blender and the result is delicious, Roland! I still have so many books to get through but I've enjoyed every one of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect way to describe it, Alex! I have many favorites in Roland's writing.

      Delete
    2. Alex, that means a lot coming from you. May your new book have the highest of sales!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of his books. I also don't know any kids. At least not till the grandkids come along. :) Which hopefully won't be for a couple more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd like his writing, JoJo, ask me if you want a suggestion. There's a lot of variety and history in Roland's stories.

      Delete
    2. JoJo, I have a bit of everything in my novels. Sam is most liked along all age levels. I hope you give one of my novels a try. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love Rolands stories. Samuel McCord is one of my favorite characters. I still need to get HIBBS. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McCord appeals to many of Roland's readers, doesn't he? Glad you could stop by, David.

      Delete
    2. David, being as his adventures span from 1853 to 2005, there's an era that most will find intriguing. I appreciate your friendship and support!

      Delete
  6. Hi DG - I really must get reading and definitely read some of Roland's books ... got most of them on the Kindle ...

    While Hib's book .. I might just have an American friend who'd love it and his birthday is coming up .. so might send that over ...

    Cheers to you both and DG hope all is peaceful - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reviewed many of Roland's books, as have other bloggers (on Amazon) but I'd recommend Hibbs, Death in the House of Life (with a young Winston Churchill), and I'm reading The Stars Bleed at Midnight now. Her Bones are in the Badlands was another I liked a lot, too.
      Thanks, Hilary.

      Delete
    2. Like D.G. wrote: Thanks for thinking of giving HIBBS as a gift. He loves traveling!

      HER BONES ARE IN THE BADLANDS is short and has some early movie stars in it like Errol Flynn, David Niven, Marlene Dietrich plus, of course, Sam! I think you might like it. It highlights the badlands of our country (a region that looks a bit like the landscape of the moon!)

      Delete
    3. Thanks DG and Roland .. someone's just posted some pics of the Badlands and I've seen the area on the tv - it's gone in to little brain!

      I also thought of a young lad who might enjoy your Hibbs books - his birthday is coming up - he's in the States .. I'll send him some via that dreaded site ... still it sells books for you ..

      Delete
  7. Roland's books are wonderful. I loved and reviewed Hibbs when he first made his appearance. Thanks for highlighting Roland,D.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only real bears and some people were like Hibbs. . .!

      Delete
    2. Hibbs makes for good mental company, Denise. He and I both appreciate the wonderful review you gave his first adventure. Alas, reviews seem to be a thing of the past for me. The Grey Bear must eat them!

      Delete
  8. What a very cool premise! You had me at "like The Strain." Now THAT'S how vampires should be - horrific monsters, not sparkly girly-men with goo-goo eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, down with the sparkles! However, the fantasies of some girly-girls will be dashed for sure. . .it's beauty and the beast not beauty and the pretty boy.

      Delete
    2. Like you and D.G., I hate the sparkly girly men vampires. There is sexual allure in my latest novel but with exotic women, dashing adventurers -- the monsters stay monsters, though human-appearing (as long as you stay far enough away!)

      STARS tells its story of human and inhuman monsters against the backdrop of historical upheavals and actual mass madness. I think it will entertain you. :-)

      D.G., thanks for doing this for me!

      Delete
  9. They sound fascinating. As do all Roland's books.

    And to think he hasn't been snatched up by an agent. Why oh why??? Tis an enigma to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about that too, Wendy. I was hooked by the literary characters, McCord and the unique writing style.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Wendy. That is nice of you to say. I have resigned myself to be an obscure, little read author -- the Emily Dickinson of fantasy! :-)

    And your words made my evening, too, D.G!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few of your books, Roland, and I'm looking forward to reading them -- and to getting acquainted with Samuel McCord.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Helena. Here is what my best friend Sandra wrote of my book (Being my best friend she didn't feel right in posting it on Amazon):
    "Heady, sardonic, yet compassionate -- with an unpredictable cast of lovers, killers, and clowns, THE STARS BLEED AT MIDNIGHT entertains as it ponders the instability of identities. It is a thoroughly engrossing performance by a classic talent, but then I'm prejudiced."

    Sandra has an IQ of 154 so she actually writes that way! :-)

    I hope you enjoy whatever of my tales you read, Helena

    ReplyDelete
  13. An excellent post Roland, and DG. I like my monsters to be true villians too, and yes, some are all too human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Donna. Roland has some nasty villains male and female in his stories. Just as they should be.

      Delete
  14. My villains are trying to form a union against me! But they can't stop back-stabbing one another long enough to get attorney! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yay for Roland!! two awesome looking/sounding books! Love all the thoughts shared, too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One for those who like intrigue and Egyptian mysteries, and one for those who like mythology and clueless bears. . .Thanks for visiting, Tara!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Tara. Hibbs is fun for all ages. And ancient evil in the Egyptian desert wastes with the bickering of Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde! It is rather fun, too. :-)

      Delete
  16. The Stars Bleed at Midnight is the fourth Sam McCord book I've read and I'm in love. In love with McCord who wouldn't be, in love with Roland's word-crafting skills, and perhaps most in love with the marvelous group of characters coming to life again in the Egyptian desert of 1895. Just the pairing of Samuel Clemens and Oscar Wilde, it doesn't get better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McCord is the anti-hero who does what's right, even if everyone else thinks he's wrong. I love the Oscar and Sammy banter too, but I sympathize more with Oscar Wilde!

      Roland's work can take us away for a short time from our troubles, Inger. I'm reading The Stars Bleed at Midnight now too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Inger. I am so happy you like my style of writing. Yes, I had fun with the banter between Oscar and Mark! And the parallels between Britain then and America now seemed to shout to me.

      D.G., Oscar, bruised from his prison ordeal, does reach out to your heart, doesn't he? I hope my book can spirit you and Inger, if even for a short moment, from life's stings. :-)

      Delete
  17. That's an interesting question - "How much harm could we do just by getting up and being ourselves?" I think I cause a heck of a lot of trouble just being myself. ;0)

    Roland's books sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives us something to write about, when we get in trouble. Roland's books are quite interesting, Sherry, and unique with their combinations of mythology, literary references and the excellent dialogue.

      Delete
  18. McCord and Hibbs are two of Roland's best characters; way to spread the good word, DG!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Roland, fabulous to see you here. I am amazed, confounded, and - shall I say it? - jealous of your ability to write so prolifically. I love the premise of the new novel. Congratulations!!! Now there is a book for children, too.... How do you do it????

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robin, HIBBS is a short book -- I am trying to persuade the very busy Robert Rossman to narrate it as well.

    It is wonderful to see you here, too! I miss you at my blog. I work so much as a rare blood courier that I do not get to visit my friends as much as I want.

    I force myself to write at least one sentence every morning and evening. It usually turns into a half-page or page.

    I was musing in my shower this very morning on the opening of the sequel to TSBAM, RED LAND ... BLACK DEATH.

    But it is still in the planning stages. Have a great mid-week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good news Roland, for your reader fans, another book in the Egyptian story. I like stories set in that locale. I look forward to a continuation of any story with McCord and Oscar and Twain in it. That is if all the characters do show up. . .as the story progresses. Good luck and may your words flow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.