Monday, October 6, 2014

WHITE LADY by Jessica Bell - And a Quiz

Do you like to read psychological thrillers? Then you might want to read this. . .




ABOUT THE BOOK*:

​Sonia yearns for sharp objects and blood. But now that she’s rehabilitating herself as a “normal” mother and mathematics teacher, it’s time to stop dreaming about slicing people’s throats.

While being the wife of Melbourne’s leading drug lord and simultaneously dating his best mate is not ideal, she’s determined to make it work.

It does work. Until Mia, her lover’s daughter, starts exchanging saliva with her son, Mick. They plan to commit a crime behind Sonia’s back. It isn’t long before she finds out and gets involved to protect them.

But is protecting the kids really Sonia’s motive?

***
*This novel contains coarse language, violence, and sexual themes.

***

The Quiz Question:

GUESS THE TRUE STATEMENT and WIN JESSICA BELL’S THRILLER, WHITE LADY! (Statement #53)

To celebrate the release of Jessica Bell’s latest novel, WHITE LADY, she is giving away an e-copy (mobi, ePub, or PDF) to the first person to correctly guess the one true statement in the three statements below. To clarify, two statements are lies, and one is true:
 

Jessica Bell’s favourite Classic is ...

a. Frankenstein, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

b. Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens

c. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

 
What do you think? Which one is true? Write your guess in the comments, along with your email address. Comments will close in 48 hours. If no-one guesses correctly within in 48 hours, comments will stay open until someone does.

Want more chances to win? You have until October 31 to visit all the blogs where Jessica will share a different set of true and false statements on each one. Remember, each blog is open to comments for 48 hours only. If you win, you will be notified by email with instructions on how to download the book.


Click HERE to see the list of blogs.

Click HERE to view the book trailer.

Click HERE for purchase links.

***
Questions for the Author:

Where is the setting for this story?
 
It's set in Melbourne, Australia. Lots of places I mention really exist, but many are fictional too, such as a café called Roxy's. It's location, The Docklands, is real, but the café is not. But that's the beauty of fiction, isn't it? We can do what we like with it.

Did a particular event inspire the novel to be written, such as a news article or?
 
No, I actually started off with one character (Nash) in a situation that didn't end up being the focus of the book. All of my novels grow quite organically. I'm never really sure where they are headed in the beginning.

 
***

Are you familiar with Jessica's work? Are you intrigued by that cover image? Are you trying the quiz questions?

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here, and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by to learn more about Jessica's new book!
 
***

Who owns the mind behind this story?

Author Jessica Bell

 


Jessica Bell, a thirty-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, is the Publishing Editor of Vine Leaves Literary Journal and the director of the Homeric Writers’ Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca. She makes a living as a writer/editor for English Language Teaching Publishers worldwide, such as Pearson Education, HarperCollins, MacMillan Education, Education First and Cengage Learning.

 
Connect with Jessica online:
Website | Retreat & workshop | Blog | Vine Leaves Literary Journal | Facebook | Twitter

Blog Tour Schedule

*** Good Luck! 

36 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds gripping!
    My guess is Pride and Prejudice, and my email is nilabose306b AT gmail DOT com
    I am a reader of VLLJ, btw. All the best for the book!

    Hope you're doing well, D.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it though, I'm anxious to read it, too. And thanks for playing along with the quiz. .

      That's great that you like the Vine Leaves Literary Journal. It's a great way to showcase authors.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for having me! If you get people guessing, I'll be back in a couple of days to reveal the winner. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two guesses so far Jessica! I like the idea of the quiz. . .and that these are classics. My choice would be B if the host is allowed to say. . .

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a weirdly interesting book. I was here, I will email soon, don't know why I am not writing to anyone, but I will soon. Hope you are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a survivor, Inger, as you are. Write your friends when you are ready. We'll be here. Hubs and I are OK.

      Delete
  4. My guess would be the darkest of the books, the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the best of the monsters, since he was partly human. . .Thanks for trying the quiz !

      Delete
  5. I've seen Jessica's book all over the blogosphere. I'd say Frankenstein would be the favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds great! I am going to guess Frankenstein and my email is queenbead@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Frankie is getting all the votes! Thanks, JoJo.

      Delete
  7. The truth just has to be Frankenstein. Although, she is a romantic also, so possible P&P.

    I love ladies that kill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In other words, women who can dish it out, too. Thanks for trying the quiz!

      Delete
  8. That's quite a parenting pickle for Sonia. I'd guess Frankenstein too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since nobody said Great Expectations, I guess I'll say that. Just for kicks. Also, I entered on another blog, so if that already counts for an entry, just consider this for one for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can enter on several blogs, but for fun is okay too. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for stopping by everyone! The correct answer is Frankenstein! Seeing as Alex and Diane already have the book, the winner is Sherry Ellis! Sherry, you haven't left your email address, so if you'd like the book, please email me at jessica.carmen.bell(at)gmail.com. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankenstein was garnering all the votes, so perhaps they know you better than you would think, Jessica. . .I let Sherry know on her blog to contact you.

      Delete
  11. Hi DG - I'd guess Mary Wollstonecraft - always loved that name after I saw her grave and decided I wanted to be her for a blog post ..

    I honestly think Jess will have selected #1 .. I'm quite 'frightened' to read Jess' work ...

    Ah I see I was right too .. only just got back from being away ... and Sherry was the winner - that's great .. Good news re hubs and you .. glad to know .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hilary, there was a time limit on this quiz contest as Jessica is selecting a winner at each blog. But you have good deductive abilities!

      Delete
  12. I'm late, but still I wish Jessica well with this new book. I would have guessed Frankenstein.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were probably dreaming, Lee. . .You would have been right.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for letting me know I won! I'm so excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi D.G. I love psychological thrillers, but I hate slashers. Gives me the creeps, which is probably just the effect Jessica went for.
    I'd guess by her writing style, Jessica would be more of a Frankenstein reader, but stranger things have happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed right, too. But the time limit passed already. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  15. I'm not such a fan of psychological thrillers. All the same, good luck with this, even if I'm a tad late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica will appreciate the good wishes!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations to the winner! I like how "pantsing" has become "organic writing" -- makes me hungry imagining all that organic produce...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust Jessica to be at the cutting edge of the terminology.

      Delete
  17. Well I am just checking out the links here and the author's work, smiles ~ Thanks for your comments in my blog ~ I am envious that you have seen the salmon run in BC ~ I should travel to that part of Canada during autumn, not summer ~ Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I like seeing nature celebrated as you did in your writing about the salmon.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.