Thursday, April 5, 2012

E = Eiffel Tower - A to Z Blog Challenge


Tour Eiffel Ironwork Detail - photo by Green Eye



Eiffel Tower and the Exposition Universelle


The Exposition Universelle of 1889 was a World's Fair held in Paris, France.  The fair coincided with the 100th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille, an event considered to be the trigger for the French Revolution.   It also introduced the Eiffel Tower to the world as it welcomed them to the exposition.


Originally positioned as the entrance arch to the World's Fair, the Eiffel Tower became a cultural icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The tower is the tallest building in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world, per one source.



Eiffel Tower, looking across Champ de Mars by DG Hudson


In the photo above the Trocadero is shown under the arch of the tower supports (a classic shot).  You can't see the Eiffel Tower from every Parisian window, as movies would have us believe.   Only a few of the taller buildings have a clear view of the tower.  Zoning restrictions limit buildings over 7 stories in some arrondisements.  


***


Eiffel Tower Facts


From: '1980s' - Timeline section

"A restaurant and its supporting iron scaffolding midway up the tower was dismantled; it was purchased and reconstructed on St. Charles Avenue and Josephine Street in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana, by entrepreneurs John Onorio and Daniel Bonnot, originally as the Tour Eiffel Restaurant, later as the Red Room and now as the Cricket Club (owned by the New Orleans Culinary Institute). The restaurant was re-assembled from 11,000 pieces that crossed the Atlantic in a 40-foot (12 m) cargo container."  See link below.


***


Paris, Eiffel Tower from Pont Alexander III by DG Hudson


***


Image copyright claims - Permissions


'The tower and its representations have long been in the public domain. However, a French court ruled, in June 1990, that a special lighting display on the tower in 1989, for the tower's 100th anniversary, was an "original visual creation" protected by copyright. As a result, it is no longer legal to publish contemporary photographs of the tower at night without permission in France and in some other countries."  Read more at the Eiffel Tower Wikipedia link below.

***

Did you learn anything new about the Eiffel Tower from this post?  Please share in the comments.


References:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVb9JT7_mk&feature=related
Exposition Universelle de Paris 1889

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower  Basic Info on the Eiffel Tower

http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/2012/03/eiffel-tower-paris-photo-study.html  More photos of the Eiffel Tower on this recent post on my 21st Century blog.

***

28 comments:

  1. Paris wasn't what I expected to find when I clicked in rainforest writing, but it looks ilike you have hit on a great topic for A to Z! I am sure you eill garner all sorts of francophile visits with a 26 post series about the city of lights and love!

    Best of luck with the challenge!

    Alana @ writercize.blogspot.com
    Found you through the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me that's in the Rainforest, I write about the area I live in (Vancouver)as well on occasion. But Paris is in my heart.

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Hope you will come back for more Paris posts.

      Delete
  2. exquisite photos! i hope to go there someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara, Paris is a feast for the eyes, and if you love history, it's got plenty of that.

      We went in the Autumn, next time we're planning for Springtime. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. It's cool that they dismantled and then moved the restaurant across the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cool! I didn't know about this until a reader (and author Gail B.) mentioned it to me on another post. I did research and found more information.

      See the 'Eiffel Tower - a Photo Study' comments. That's what I love about blogging - info exchange!

      Thanks for stopping by, Rick.

      Delete
  4. There is something about seeing the tower with a cloudy, back drop that I like.

    Stopping by via the A - Z challenge link up. I am following you through GFC.

    Feel free to stop by my blog at http://www.scatteredmusings.net/2012/04/buying-car/ (my combined b-d post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Debbie, and welcome! I like the Eiffel in all kinds of weather, but the moody grey skies gives it that melancholy Paris effect.

      I'll check out your blog, too.

      Delete
  5. Oooh la la. Beautiful pics. It's on my must see list before leaving planet earth.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Debra, and thanks for following!

      How do you plan to leave Planet Earth - on a spaceship? As a sci-fi writer, I'm interested!

      Delete
  6. Welcome Carolyn B., and thanks for following. It's nice to see some new faces. That's one of the plus factors of the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally loving Paris and your tour. Someday....le sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Anne, I'm trying to let others see that Paris isn't intimidating, but very easy to love.

      I like "le sigh"! Thanks for visiting me today.

      Delete
  8. Now that would be an adventure to visit the Eiffel Tower...unfortuantely I haven't been...Great E word and nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day Tracy, you will get to Paris. It took me a while to get there, but it was always on my radar.

      In the meantime, visit here when you have time and have a look at all the Paris photos. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. pretty funny that you have to deal with the government to post a photo.

    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mimi, The reason is probably to prevent the image being used in a disrespectful or sleazy-fying manner. If the image of the Eiffel Tower in lights at night or during celebrations is part of a larger photo, like a landscape shot, there is usually no problem. It's a country's icon, after all.

      It's something to be aware of if you're a photographer.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I learned a few things about the Eiffel Tower from reading this post such as it's connection to the World's Fair. Interesting enough, someone showed me where The World's Fair is held, when I was in New York earlier this week.

    I'd love to see the Eiffel Tower in person but maybe moreso from afar, as I'd be hesitant to climb it...heights are not my thing, lol.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Nicole, I've never been to NYC, but I'd love to see a Yankees game live, and then check out the Statue of Liberty. It's just further down my list of places to see.

      Thanks for dropping by! I'll check out your blog.

      Delete
  11. The rule about not posting night photos is really rather silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, I gulped when I read that initially, since I had posted one photo with the lights on or maybe, two.

      From the fine print explanation it's not usually aimed at visitors, but prof'l photographers.

      Delete
  12. Great post. I have eaten at the Cricket Club in New Orleans. It's more like being in Paris than Louisiana when you're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Bethie,what interior style of design is used? Belle Epoch? Art Deco?

      I only found out about the restaurant from a comment on my blog, on a different post. Being curious, I had to follow-up.

      Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  13. Yes, I did! I had no idea they reconstructed a restaurant that used to be located in the Tower.


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden Eagle, see the explanation above to Bethie - I learned about that restaurant thanks to Gail Baugniet, another blogger.

      It's a small world and getting smaller.

      Delete
  14. I did learn a lot about the Eiffel Tower. I knew virtually nothing about it before. It got it's start the same way the Space Needle did here in Seattle, as a gateway for the World's Fair. Speaking of, I see you live near Vancouver BC. So we're nearly neighbors! And we write in the same genre practically! (I write thrillers.) So glad you stopped by. I followed you right back!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Nancy and thanks for the follow. Yes, we are close neighbors, only a big border line between. . .

    We come to Seattle every now and then to see the Mariners play baseball. We have similar weather, similar traffic, too.

    Alex just reminded me to check out your blog. So I did! You come very well recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My friend's Nana has dementia yet she remembers the time she enjoyed traveling in Paris. These photos are beautiful and she would love them. Great post!
    Stacey~

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.