Saturday, April 7, 2012

G = Gay Purr-ee - A to Z Blog Challenge


Warner Bros. Image via Wikipedia


Gay Purr-ee
A Feline Adventure in Paris


Gay Purr-ee is an animated film musical produced by United Productions of America and released by Warner Bros. in 1962. Judy Garland is the voice of the female cat in her first and only animated-film role as Mewsette.  Robert Goulet is the voice of Jaune Tom, the male lead.

The setting for most of the action is Paris, France in 1895, but the story begins in Provence.  The lovely cat Mewsette is frustrated with her beau (Jaune Tom, an accomplished but shy mouser). Mewsette believes her human's stories of the glamorous life in Paris and longs to see the Big City for herself.

Hopping a train going to Paris, Mewsette is promptly snagged as a provincial ingenue by the slick con-cat Meowrice (The Money Cat).  For her training in the 'city' life, Meowrice introduces her to Kittie, a kind-hearted saloon singer.  When Jaune Tom (Jean-Tom) comes looking for Mewsette, she learns the value of friendship.  He and his sidekick are catnapped by the Money Cat's henchmen and crated for shipping to America. 

For a look at this retro animated musical video, check out the links below.  The cover image heading the post is from Warner Bros., via Wikipedia.  I discovered this movie when one of my kids selected it for viewing, because it had cats. The theme and choreography is vintage 60s.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Purr-ee  The movie, and who did the voices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTiPr2l_6o8&feature=related
The Money Cat song

***

Do you like animated films?  Please share your favourite OR the latest one you've seen in the comments. 

***

21 comments:

  1. We love animated movies here! Our faves are anything directed by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Ponyo, Castle in the Sky) and the new batch of DC superhero animated movies.

    I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim, Gay Purr-ee is a little dated, but a classic of its time.

      Hubby collects some comics, and the old Big Little Books. We go and see lots of animated films, but usually comic book hero types as well. I'll have to check out Miyazaki.

      Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you on your rounds of the A-Z bloggers.

      Delete
  2. My favorite animated film will make my A-Z movie list, but not until we get to the letter "U".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the suspense, Rick! That's a good teaser.

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. Welcome Stephanie, and thanks for following. Hope you're enjoying the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's been a long time since I watched that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you remember it. I still like the Money Cat song. It's got a snappy beat.

      Delete
  5. It's basically what haven't I seen, as I've seen every animated one from Rock a doodle to Aladdin, but this one I somehow missed. Definitely adding it to my dvd list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to let you know about something new, even though it's old.

      Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had not heard of this film. Will have to look for it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOTC - It may only be available on Amazon, since it is an older animated film.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  9. That looks like a fun movie! I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun movie! We were all singing the Money Cat song for a while there.

      Delete
  10. I do enjoy animated films, but at the same time I'm not much of a movie watcher. Not sure if I saw this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remember it either, but it appealed to the kids.

      I like discovering films that are great quality, but didn't get a lot of support. e.g., The Harder They Come, with Jimmy Cliff. (I think you highlighted him a day or so ago).

      Delete
  11. Too cute! I have to see this! My husband is a cat person. Even though he will make you think I have converted him to a dog person, I really believe he loves them both equally. We just only have dogs. Cats don't like me, and I'm allergic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a musical, with 60s vintage songs.

      Delete
  12. As a family, we all love Disney's The Aristocats. We are big Disney fans. With a three year old (four in less than a week now!) in the house, I see a lot of animated films. I really enjoy watching WALL-E, Cars, Bolt and more with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! I haven't seen this movie before but will have to check it out. I just watched most of Puss n Boots (or whatever the new Dreamworks movie is) with my niece and nephew today. Was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.