Monday, April 9, 2012

H = HUGO - A to Z Blog Challenge

 A little boy all alone . . . except for the one thing that gives him hope


Hugo, Image via Wikipedia

HUGO

2011 - Director, Martin Scorsese; written by John Logan. 
Co-production GK Films and Infinitum Nihil. Distributed by Paramount Pictures


A small boy’s search for a message from his deceased father leads him to a secret instead.  Hugo lives in the train station and learns to maintain the clock mechanism from his alcoholic uncle after his father dies in a museum fire.  By maintaining the clock mechanism, he can live in the train station and continue his father’s work on a non-working automaton rescued from the museum.


The train station is the setting for a community of characters, a woman 'of a certain age' and her friend, a gendarme who takes his job seriously, a flower girl and a few dogs. One of the characters, Méliès, a grumpy toy store owner, accuses Hugo of stealing toy parts, then in a turnabout, offers the boy a chance to pay back what he has stolen by working around the store.


Hugo then meets Isabelle, the goddaughter of Méliès, and discovers that the toy store owner has a secret past, too.  Between Isabelle and Hugo, a friendship deepens as they help an old man retrieve his life by unravelling the clues.  Along the way, the secondary characters provide us with interesting distractions.  The story of Méliès, within the story of Hugo, is a nice touch since it's true.  See previous post for F,  French Films.


***

One scene seems to be a tip of the hat to Harold Lloyd, the silent film star who loved to hang around with clocks. The inspiration for the clock featured in the Hugo film released in 2011 was the former Gare Montparnasse, an elegant railway station in Paris.


Have you seen the movie Hugo? Do you plan to? Any comments?

***


References/Links:

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTfCw1x98   Hugo Trailer


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo   about Hugo, the movie


Montparnasse Train Station, 1895 Derailment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_Montparnasse

***

21 comments:

  1. A good attempt ....as I didn't watched this movie but after reading this I am planning to watch it. :)

    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Youmna09, I think you'll like it. It's hard not to feel for this little boy who just wants to be part of a family.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, farawayeyes!

      Every now and then, we need one of these movies.

      Delete
  3. This was a great movie. The acting and cinematography were excellent, and the feel-good story is a refreshing break from the overblown action we are force-fed by Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that, Rick!

      It was nice to let the adrenalin rest, until the kid starts running through the train station.

      Delete
  4. Darling Daughter and I rented it for family night a couple of weeks ago when her daddy was out of town working. The film is gorgeous! The story is sweet. I think our problem is that DD is a teen and has out-grown gorgeous and sweet. I wonder if the wee nephews would enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't think this would appeal to a teen, generally. Most teens want to read stories about other teens.

      I would think under 10yrs is the best age for this movie. And most parents will like it.

      Thanks for stopping by, Jaimee.

      Delete
  5. I thought it was one of the most magical, unique films I have ever seen. Should've won Best Picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Alex. Lush sets, and great casting. I want an automaton like that one.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. I've heard many good things about it. You add to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M. for stopping by! I hope you get to see it.

      We initially saw HUGO because we had visited the Gare D'Orsay station in Paris. The train station in this movie is based on the Gare Montparnasse.

      Delete
  7. it certainly sounds like a movie i would like--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Almost forgot, thanks for following too, Lynn. I'll drop by your place to peek at your post.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. This was such a wonderful movie that reminded me of classics from my childhood. Great to meet you from A to Z! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for follow, Empty Nest Insider! Nice to meet you too.

      HUGO is a rich movie.

      I'll be by to visit your spot.

      Delete
  9. Hi DG .. I loved this movie - and I want to see it again .. not something I normally do. I loved the various aspects it had in it - the appreciation of the start of cine-film and movie making, silent film, the story of the station, and all the intertwining characters - I was fascinated by it ... I'm glad it got five Oscars .. and I didn't see it in 3D ..

    Great great movie .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the 3D version either and I loved it, too, Hilary.

      There's a lot of complexity to this movie that kids might miss. Sorry for my late response and thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  10. Have not seen it, but have read the book. The key to the story are the beautiful illustrations. :)

    Thanks for a great H post.

    Mary Hill
    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Hugo is a great movie in the old tradition. . .

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.