Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A = Arc de Triomphe - French Faves, A to Z Blog Challenge 2015

To feel its immensity, you must stand beneath it.

The Arc de Triomphe, Paris, by DG Hudson


A = Arc de Triomphe de L'Étoile
Arch of Triumph of the Star

The Arc is at the center of a dodecagonal configuration of twelve radiating avenues on the Right Bank of the Seine River.  It is a military monument honouring all the French victories and those generals who fought and died for France in the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars. At the foot of the monument beneath the arch, lies the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from WWI.

The viewing level at top is a great viewpoint for aerial photography, as seen in the image below. The height allows you to see the layout of the streets while still retaining enough detail of the buildings.



View from the Arc de Triomphe, by DG Hudson

***
During special celebrations, the French flag flutters beneath the arch. . .



French Flag in the Arc de Triomphe, by Green Eye (prop DGH)
***

The Arc de Triomphe is the linchpin of the Axe Historique, a sequence of monuments and thoroughfares which form a line from the Louvre courtyard to the Grande Arche de la Défense. Of the four sculpted groups in the supporting legs of the Arc de Triomphe, the following is my favorite:

The Departure of the Volunteers of 1792, aka La Marseillaise, sculpted by François Rude. 


"The Departure of the volunteers of 1792" (a.k.a. La Marseillaise), sculpture by François Rude, WC*
***

Were you aware of any of these facts about the Arc de Triomphe? Did you know the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from WWI was beneath the monument?

Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by, and if you are part of the A to Z Challenge. I'll be sure to check your blog, and reciprocate. If you're not in the challenge, thanks for stopping by to visit! I try to reply to all comments.

***

The A to Z Blog Challenge is brainchild of Lee, at Tossing It Out.  Please visit the A to Z blog site to find out more information and the participant list.  There are also Twitter and Facebook presences if you want to check those!



***

References:

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2015.html A to Z Signup list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_de_Triomphe Wiki

*Image Credit: La Marseillaise

This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication  The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law. 

***

29 comments:

  1. Hi DG - I play Animal Crossing, New Leaf, there's an Arc de Triomphe in the game - now I know all about it. :) Thanks.

    That was interesting.

    Sent with smiles, Jenny
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    @PearsonReport

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to offer a few tidbits you didn't know, Jenny, in trade for the info you're presenting.

      Delete
  2. Yum, D.G. My favourite topic, France. Loved the pic. It's usually one of the first trips I take when i arrive in Paris. Coming out of the metro into the sunshine and seeing it in front of me, wow every time. Yes, I knew the facts. Talk about an imposing position. I love to sit there and watch the French drive around that roundabout.

    I'll be back to read regularly. I'm not in the A-Z this year, but have posted for the IWSG today.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something inspiring about huge monuments. . .makes us humans feel our true worth . . .and the work on that Arc is amazing. The roundabout was unnerving but we had to experience it (we weren't driving, though)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting - Paris is on my list of places I'd love to visit. Looking forward to more of your posts. (I'm also taking part in the challenge)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see a fellow A to Z'er! Paris was my dream destination, aside from the other planets out there. It's in my blood now. . .

      Delete
  4. Although we were in Paris on that high school trip, we didn't venture to the Arc, although it was right near our hotel and I could see it about 2 blocks away from the balcony in my room. We were probably told that the unknown soldier was buried there but I don't really remember. I was just so exhausted on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping your weather improves, JoJo, but snazzy sneakers you featured. . .what a shame you didn't get to see the Arc, it impressed me more than I thought it would. Those whiz tours don't leave much time for artful contemplation.

      Delete
  5. Hi DG - I didn't know those details .. so now I'd like to see it close up and 'beautiful' - but I'd love to see the views and get an idea of Paris' layout ... I had no idea about the Unknown Soldier in France ... live and learn - love this post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw one lighting ceremony there with the soldiers marching about, too. That's the one with the huge flag beneath the arch. Love Paris' monuments, I must say.

      Delete
  6. Ah, but of course A is for Arc de Triomphe. Wow, I'd love to visit and see it for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, LG, bet a dragon could fly beneath that arch, but don't let it scorch the exterior art, OK?

      Delete
  7. Very interesting, and no I didn't know this about the Arc. The view from the top is beautiful, as it the craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view is one of the first aerial ones we saw, before the Eiffel. Good luck with your latest release!

      Delete
  8. I've seen the Arc but I've never been on top of it for photos. Awesome information! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had researched via Google Earth for the Eiffel and the Arc prior to our trip It showed people on top, so I knew it was possible.

      Delete
  9. Photos are beautiful, but you are right -- for monuments like these, you need to be there to get the accurate impression. I imagine the Sphinx is the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that, too. I always wanted to see all the Egyptian monuments. With an avatar called Sekhmet, of course I wanted to see the Sphinx. I've only seen the one at the Louvre (a smaller one that just fits in the corridor.)

      Delete
  10. I've seen it (I visited Paris many years ago) but we didn't go to the top. Missed that great view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how many steps it was - guess I missed the fact that it's 300+ steps up, with gravity pulling at you all the way. But now I can say I did it. Next, Notre Dame.

      Delete
  11. I'd love to see the Arc de Triomphe. The sculptures and view are amazing!

    -Chrys Fey
    Tremp’s Troops - A to Z Co-co-host
    Write with Fey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about all the sculptures and the intricate detail before I visited the Arc de Triomphe. And all those battles inscribed on the monument.

      Delete
  12. Sigh, well at least I can pretend I am in Paris, thanks to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, and I'll do my best to make it a virtual trip. I'll talk about some food, some places, some history, etc.

      Delete
  13. I didn't know it actually had a viewing level! I thought it was just a piece of architecture!

    Out of Print, Fiction authors and their shorts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you know! A lot of people choose not to climb up the many stairs, but it is worth it.

      Delete
  14. Had I known you were doing French a Faves, I would have been by sooner.

    I did know about the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but not the other facts.

    Now, I'm off to catch up on your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I never do an advance reveal, I like to surprise readers. I found the Arc much more interesting than I thought, especially when I found out you could get to the top.

      Delete
  15. Great post! I am catching up with A to Z visiting and I love all things French! I'll be "binge reading" your A to Z :-)
    A-to-Z-er Jetgirl visiting via Forty, c'est Fantastique

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.