Monday, April 13, 2015

K = Kir, A French Creation, French Faves - A to Z Challenge

A French cocktail. . .



KIR - crème de cassis and wine, S. Webster

K = Kir, a fruity apéritif

KIR is a popular French alcoholic drink made with a measure of crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) and topped with white wine. It can be consumed before or after a meal.

This concoction was originally called blanc-cassis, but has since been named after a previous mayor in Dijon, Burgundy, Felix Kir. He popularized the drink by offering it at receptions to visiting delegations as part of the twinning* movement after WWII. (a sister or twin sister relationship between cities to promote cultural ties). His purpose - to promote economic products of his region to increase its appeal.

***

Crème de cassis was developed in 1841, but since the cocktail became a café drink, it has become linked internationally with the name Kir. In France, waiters will ask whether you want one of three choices for your Kir: crème de cassis (blackcurrant), de mûre (blackberry) or de pêche (peach). 

I would likely have to try them all to decide which I liked best, but I'd likely prefer the original version with blackcurrant liqueur. At another time in my life, I made my own liqueurs and dandelion wine, and researching this post has reminded me of that.

****

Have you had a Kir? Sound interesting? Or do you prefer beer, ale or plain wine? (Distilled spirits are not included in the choices for the purposes of this post, although they are used to make liqueurs. . .)


Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by, and if you are part of the A to Z Challenge. I'll be sure to check your blog, and reciprocate. If you're not in the challenge, thanks for stopping by to visit! I try to reply to all comments.

***

The A to Z Blog Challenge is brainchild of Lee, at Tossing It Out.  Please visit the A to Z blog site to find out more information and the participant list.  There are also Twitter and Facebook presences if you want to check those!


*****

References:

KIR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kir_(cocktail) 

*Twinning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_towns_and_sister_cities 'Twinning' between towns/cities

****
Cocktail in a wine glass image:

By Stuart Webster from Southampton, England
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic, license.

***

20 comments:

  1. I often wonder how these drinks...all mixed drinks....are created. Like who was the first person who said, 'let's mix this white wine and fruit liqueur'. I'm not a fan of alcoholic beverages, being allergic to alcohol, but of the three kir choices I'd probably pick the peach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're allergic, it's better not to even taste. I had a friend who also was allergic and she would react by swelling of breathing passages, etc. (like early penicillin allergy reaction).

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Kir before but it sounds yummy. How interesting that you made your own liqueurs and wine! I bet that was challenging but also fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was before having kids, and I would give them as gifts to friends. The dandelion blooms for the wine had to be picked early on before the parks sprayed them. For the liqueurs you just soaked fresh fruit in alcohol (vodka, brandy, or other distilled type for approximately 3 months, then strain/filter and bottle).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, I think so too. I prefer white French wine, and never had any that wasn't excellent, while visiting. I also like most liqueurs. . .

      Delete
  4. I had never even heard of it until your blog post, and I was in France last year. I guess I have to go back… :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard of it but never tried it when I was there either, I just enjoyed the French wine and even tried German beer at Voltaire's hangout.
      You can't see France too much, IMO.

      Delete
  5. I have had an really like 'Kir'. I have only tried the original (blackcurrant), but the de peche sounds like something I could fall i love with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve, FAE, and I wonder how the de peche tastes too. Might need to experiment for scientific purposes of course.

      Delete
  6. The blackberry version sounds delicious. Peach might end up being a little too sweet for me. But, like you, I'd definitely have to try them all to be certain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tasting sounds like a good idea. . .

      Delete
  7. Hi DG - I loved Kir and still have it occasionally .. usually with fizz though - because then it's extra special and I do love my fizz! But Kir .. too delicious ... the blackcurrant one I'd prefer I believe .. got used to it now ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not crazy about fizz, doesn't sit well with me, although I used to like wine spritzers. I learned the French way of drinking that mitigates the grog effect: have water on the side. That seems to work for me. I love the taste of red or black currants (prefer the dried ones to raisins).

      Delete
  8. Annalisa might have a point: the peach might be a tad too sweet. I steer clear of alcohol since I get into enough trouble sober! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to watch my amounts of alcohol, too, but I've heard wine had antioxidants which may be healthful in small amounts. Kir just sounds tasty. . .

      Delete
  9. You made your own wine? Impressive.
    I'd probably try the one with blackberries first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made dandelion wine, and liqueurs: blueberry, cherry, coffee, baileys style, all the things Ilike...I have two books on liqueurs and the dandelion wine used only natural ingredients. The flower of the dandelion just gave it a golden amber color. I don't use the extracts and flavorings that some places promote.

      Delete
  10. Hi, D.G.

    I LOVE Kir and had many Kir Royals in my day....Such nice memories of clinking crystal glasses in chic NYC club rooms....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have led the high life, Michael! Had to look up what a Kir Royal was (champagne instead of white wine) Sounds elegant.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.