Monday, April 6, 2015

E = Entrancing Eiffel, French Faves - A to Z Challenge 2015

An iron structure made for the World's Fair of Paris in 1889,  the Eiffel Tower rose above the city growing taller and taller, until it became as familiar as the clouds overhead.


Eiffel Tower seen from the Trocadero Plaza, Paris, by DG Hudson


E = Eiffel Tower
Tour Eiffel

A tourist attraction, a monument, it's been called many things, but as an icon representing a city, it is an unparrallelled image. It's an immediate identification of Paris. It epitomizes glamour and romance. On March 2014, the Eiffel was 125 years old, and yet, the Iron Lady still looks very trim and elegant.


A personal memory:
I was here, finally in Paris, I had to see the Eiffel Tower, and once I gazed upon the massive iron beauty, I was drawn back to it again and again. It was so different seeing it in actuality. Its size and its magnificence surprised me, and I was instantly under its spell.  


Eiffel Tower at Dusk, Paris, by DG Hudson


If you want to read more on the Eiffel Tower and see my other images, check these previous DG posts:

Eiffel Tower Photo Study

Eiffel Tower Illusion

E = Eiffel Tower, the 2012 A to Z Blog Challenge

*********

Did you know how old the Eiffel was? Have you visited Paris?

Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by, and if you are part of the A to Z Challenge. I'll be sure to check your blog, and reciprocate. If you're not in the challenge, thanks for stopping by to visit! I try to reply to all comments.

***

The A to Z Blog Challenge is brainchild of Lee, at Tossing It Out.  Please visit the A to Z blog site to find out more information and the participant list.  There are also Twitter and Facebook presences if you want to check those!



*****

24 comments:

  1. It is timeless. If one didn't know its history, one would have absolutely no problem imagining it as cutting edge contemporary.
    Best,
    Nila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Nila! To me it is defintely timeless.

      Delete
  2. It's an impressive engineering achievement, and completely synonymous with Paris.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think that some Parisians didn't initially like it. . .I'm liking your theme a lot, Annalisa.

      Delete
  3. It's pretty amazing seeing it before your eyes for the first time! My first time was in 1998, as a 17 year old. I much preferred my next visit which was back in 2012 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes art is appreciated more when we're a little more cognizant of its background. Lucky you seeing Paris at 17!

      Delete
  4. Your photos are beautiful. I had no idea how d the Eiffel Tower was, nor the purpose of it's construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I've shared some interesting facts with you. It's come to represent more than just being a monument. A World's Fair in those times would have been full of inventions.

      Delete
  5. I would love to see the Eiffel Tower. Especially when it's all lit up at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the whole light show, but what I saw was mesmerizing.

      Delete
  6. The one and only time I was ever in Paris, the Eiffel Tower was closed for renovations. We stood under it and were able to walk around it, but we couldn't go up. I was very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh, so would I have been, JoJo. All that way and can't go up. I wonder if it was being painted. . .

      Delete
  7. Hi DG - wow, I hope I look that trim and elegant when I'm 125… giggle attached here! :) :)

    That aside, I sure would like to see this magnificent landmark. One day, hopefully.

    Wonderful E post - I'm enjoying your France theme. I feel like I'm traveling.

    Sent with smiles, Jenny, Pearson Report
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    @PearsonReport

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Jenny, I love sharing travel photos, and I am very fond of the Eiffel.

      Delete
  8. I climbed to the very top when I was in high school. Pretty terrifying for someone who's afraid of heights, but still, it was worth it.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you trying to 'rise' above that fear! and thanks!

      Delete
  9. Isn't it odd to see a structure familiar from photos in person? They always seem so stunning. You understand why people were driven to take pictures of them. Yet no picture ever does a work of art or architecture justice, does it? I read where at the start, Parisians hated it. Odd, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was quite a dispute when some factions wanted to get rid of it after the World's Fair, thank goodness smarter heads prevailed! Seeing things in real time up close is the best way to experience it, but Google Earth isn't bad.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I have seen the Eiffel Tower.
    Is it true it's not to be photographed at night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be photographed for personal memories but the whole light show has been copyrighted so that can't be used as a video for promotional purposes, makes sense to preserve its integrity. . .I mentioned this in an earlier post, and I checked just to be sure I could post my own photo.

      Delete
  11. Hi DG - I'd love to spend more time in Paris ... I've been on a few occasions - but for some reason have never thoroughly checked out the Eiffel tower .. and I'd love to go the viewing platform. I can imagine you loved your visit to Paris to see the glorious gift from the States - it is a very elegant thing to behold ..

    Love it - and one day I'll get back .. and use your posts for my travelling around .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be honoured, Hilary. I kept lots of notes when we were there as I planned to write articles about the trip but blogged instead. I back up my notes with research, too.

      Delete
  12. I haven't been there but my daughter has. It is an iconic image and I had no idea how hold it was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. I will confess I collect photos of the Eiffel tower. It can look so different depending on the angle, lighting, season, whatever. It's a work of art, really. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.