Friday, April 3, 2015

C = Crêpes - French Faves, 2015 A to Z Blog Challenge

What is a Crêpe


Creative Commons - A Stack of crêpes


A very thin pancake, usually made from wheat or buckwheat flour. Originating in France, it comes from the Latin word crispa, meaning curled. Crêpes are often associated with Brittany, in northwest France, but they are consumed in many other areas of Belgium, Canada, and many parts of North America, Europe, Africa and even some parts of South America. Who knew??



C = Crêpes



Breton Crêpes - crunchy, crispy edges that curl naturally when cooking, topped with cheese and dollops of spinach, cooked on the spot.  In the café we visited, American music played in the background, perhaps to lure the American tourists inside.  All we saw were locals. The Crêpes were served with French apple cider, with a slight alcoholic kick. We stopped in the afternoon after an extensive walk, hungry and thirsty.  We were not disappointed.



One location to find them:

BREIZH Café
111 Rue Vieille du Temple, Paris






and see this article/post:
The best crêperies in Paris


Sweet crepes and Toppings- WC

***
Personal note: In my early days in Vancouver, I discovered a place on Robson Street called Chez Felix, a classy little café, where I had my first crêpes.  It's no longer there. Another place of note outside Paris that made great crêpes was a beachside crêperie in Mission Bay, San Diego. There I had my first savoury crêpes: fillings of mushroom, or crab, or spinach in a white sauce. If you need a recipe, I have one.

For a short flash piece about Nutella-Banana crêpes, see this post (PARIS - Outside the Café)

***

Do you like crêpes? Do you know a favorite place that serves them? Or are tortillas more to your liking?

Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by, and if you are part of the A to Z Challenge. I'll be sure to check your blog, and reciprocate. If you're not in the challenge, thanks for stopping by to visit! I try to reply to all comments.

***

The A to Z Blog Challenge is brainchild of Lee, at Tossing It Out.  Please visit the A to Z blog site to find out more information and the participant list.  There are also Twitter and Facebook presences if you want to check those!




***
References:

Crêpe Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%AApe 


PARIS - Outside the Café
http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/2013/09/paris-outside-cafe.html

***


32 comments:

  1. The family love them, both the European and American versions. We have an Indian version too, it's always eaten sweet. I am way better at eating them than making :)

    Best always,
    Nila.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recipe is easy, Nila, and one does need a flexible wrist to twirl them around the pan, but I don't use special equipment. I make them in batches and freeze extras. They keep well. I learned to make them since they were hard to find in Canada when I first tasted them.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love crepes! Fortunately for me they're really popular in Japan, so I can get them whenever I want, in any flavor. They're so popular here, in fact, they we make felt and paper crepe crafts with the kids at school if we have extra time. They go nuts for them, and want to take them home before the glitter glue is even dry!
    https://njmagas.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a crepe associated craft, but I can see the attraction. They could be filled with goodies like a cornucupia. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I think I had crepes many many years ago but I don't remember where it was. I've never ordered them since then so perhaps I didn't care for them. The ones I had probably weren't done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not made properly, they must be thin and light. I had some in Vancouver a year ago or so, but they were nothing like mine or the ones I had in France. I'm sure they were made with rice flour considering the place selling them. Didn't like it. . .You would like mine, JoJo. They don't mail well, or I'd send you some of mine.

      Delete
  4. I've had them with cottage cheese and pineapple rolled up inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds refreshing, Alex. Good for the hot summers where you live.Try them with fresh strawberries and cream (or yogurt). The ones my friends liked best were shrimp crepes in a white sauce.

      Delete
  5. As much as I love pancakes, I have never tasted crêpes! And here I am a frequent visitor to New Orleans! I guess dodging ghouls keeps me away from the good eating places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, be sure and try some in a French cafe, Roland. Crêpes are much too good for ghouls. If you like pancakes, you would surely like crêpes. I make sweet crepes (good for the summer berries), spinach, crab, shrimp, or chicken mostly.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever had a crepe. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised that so many haven't ever had a crêpe! Californians had them ages ago, but they like to eat healthy. Crêpes are a high protein food, and light eating, if you don't eat too many. They are yummy!

      Delete
  7. Mmmmm, love crepes! Haven't had them for a long time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be hard to find, Annalisa! That's why I make my own. They aren't that hard to make, you just have to master the swirling technique when the batter is first put in the pan.

      Delete
  8. I love crepes! We made them in french class in highschool a couple of times. I sure wish I could remember how to make them! My husband keeps saying he wants some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great teacher you must have had! An excellent idea. If you want the recipe. let me know here with a comment. You need a good nonstick pan.

      Delete
    2. If you have a good recipe that you like I will definitely try it out!

      Delete
    3. The crepe recipe will be posted here later this morning, and all you need utensil wise is a spatula, a non-stick pan like Tifal about 10 inches, a silicone or other brush to put oil on the pan and a scoop to put the batter in the pan.

      Delete
    4. The recipe is now posted, in the sidebar via a link. It's from the Joy of Cooking, and I've added my own notes and tips. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Hi DG. Nothing like stopping at the Place de Clignancourt and watching the crepe man make our dinner. Nutella/banana for me and savoury for hubs. I think crepes are a favourite around the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that same combination - Nutella-banana, Denise, and we had them at a food cart in the courtyard of Musee d'Orsay. I will be mentioning Clignancourt in my H post, re another subject.

      Delete
  10. I remember hearing of Crêpes Suzette as a child, but I don't remember what they were. They just sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiki says: Crêpe Suzette is a French dessert consisting of a crêpe with beurre Suzette, a sauce of caramelized sugar and butter, orange juice, Grand Marnier or orange Curaçao liqueur on top, served flambé. I think I've seen Brandy used too. I had them at Chez Felix, mentioned in the post.

      Delete
  11. We have been eating tons of crepes lately. We have feijoas and apples ripe on our trees, and we love the combination of these two fruit in a crepe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to look up feijoas, and found them interesting. I bet they would add to the apple flavor . . . I'll be posting the crepe recipe here later in the morning.

      Delete
  12. Hi DG - I definitely prefer savoury crepes of any filling .. but am happy to chomp down a goodly crepe ... I loved Crepes Suzette when I used to go out with my father in London - delicious ...

    We have crepe bistros here .. but not in Eastbourne I don't think ... still they are good value ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice memory the crepes stirred, Hilary! I didn't know London had so many crepe places, but why not, being so close to France?

      Delete
  13. I love crepes. The best place I found them was in Brittany where they served us buckwheat crepes filled with sautéed mushrooms and swiss cheese. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had the buckwheat crepes once, but that sounds good to me.Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. I am sorry, but cannot comment on your blog on Google +. Not on Google +. Pity, I wanted to say I like Audrey Tatou as well, especially in Amelie.

      Delete
  14. I think I'm gaining weight just reading these posts. I love crepes. Used to eat at a place in Denver - The Magic Pan. The made wonderful crepes of all types. Alas, todsu due to a general grain allergy they are also off my menu, but I may try making them with coconut or almond flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Just writing about crepes made me want some, so I made a batch today, using the recipe in the sidebar. I'm sure you could find a substitute flour. Let me know if you do try one.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.