Friday, April 8, 2016

G = GABALDON, Diana, Author, A-Z Blog Challenge 2016

Step inside the Stones, if you dare. . .and if you survive, time will have changed by two hundred years. . .

From Diana Gabaldon's mind comes stories of Scottish Highlanders in Scotland, France, and in the young United States where many of the Highlanders were exiled. This was the time preceding the American War for Independence. 


Diana Gabaldon at Book Signing 2007, PD-GNU*

= Diana Gabaldon, Author
Theme = Authors AtoZ 

Have you heard these names before? Outlander, James (Jamie) and Claire Fraser, Lord John Grey, the Fiery Cross, Roger Mac,  - they come from Diana Gabaldon's novels. If you haven't yet given her novels a try, you should. The 1800s were very different times when compared to the mid 1940s. That was when Claire visited the stones. She knew about the circle of stones and who danced there, but she didn't know that the stones were full of power at the right time of the year and day. 





Diana J. Gabaldon, born January 11, 1952 is an American author, known for the Outlander series of novels. It's known as Cross Stitch in the UK. Her father was of Mexican ancestry, and her mother was of English descent. Gabaldon has earned three degrees - one marine biology, one zoology, and one behavioural ecology. She worked for ASU and Walt Disney at one time.

Her books merge multiple genres with elements of historical fiction, romance, mystery, adventure and science fiction/fantasy. 

Book Titles for Outlander Series

-Outlander (1991)
-Dragonfly in Amber (1992)
-Voyager (1993)
-Drums of Autumn 
-The Fiery Cross (2001) 
-A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)
-An Echo in the Bone (2009)
-Written in My Own Heart's Blood (2014)


.
A television adaptation of the Outlander series premiered on Starz in the US on August 9, 2014. I'm currently reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

***
Are you a fan of Gabaldon? Do you like the premise of time travel via stone portals (as in Outlander)?

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by!

***

Blogging from A to Z Challenge 2016 - Badge

****
References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Gabaldon Wiki on Diana Gabaldon

IMAGE: Diana Gabaldon, PD-GNU
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled GNU Free Documentation License. // This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported

***

19 comments:

  1. Have heard so much about this series! Must make time for it during my June holidays.

    Damyanti, AZ cohost 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading the books when I picked up one on sale at the library. I was hooked after that. You will fall for Jamie I think, most females do. . .

      Delete
  2. I've heard of Outlander but never watched it or read the books. I do like the idea of time travel though. Love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like time travel too, JoJo, and that's one of the things that kept me reading. Plus I've always like the study of herbal medicine which is what Claire practices when she's back in the 1700s.

      Delete
  3. I'm already a big fan of Gabaldon's books and have read most of them. Exquisit writer. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know, Nicola. I get lots of pageviews whenever I review one of her books.

      Delete
  4. I remember when you posted the first time on this series (after reading the first one). I love this series. I read Outlander shortly after it came out in the early 90s. I kept up pretty well, but The Fiery Cross is the last one I read/have. I got married, got migraines, and stopped reading for many many many years. I've started again (even though I still have migraines) and reread Outlander after your first post. It was just as enthralling as I remembered. I now fear picking up the second one as I know how obsessed I can get on this journey. But, it will happen.

    As it happens, Jamie Frasier was my first book love. He holds a special place in my heart. Not sure I could take it if he dies at the end of this series. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could take Jamie's death either, Robin, I didn't even like it when they were separated for a time. . .I'll be posting a few more reviews after April (Voyager and Drums of Autumn).

      Delete
  5. Oh, how I loved her first 4 or 5 books. I spent a blissful summer on the beach with those books.

    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge http://www.kathleenvalentineblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another fan - great! Diana is such a warm welcoming person when you meet her as I did at a writing conference (for a 15 min crit of a few pages of my MS)

      Delete
  6. I have heard about her and about this series... from you. It reminds me that I suck because I still haven't read it. I wish I had more time to dive into this series, because it does sound like it might be up my alley. I love a good time travel story, portal stones or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll never know if you don't try. Outlander gives you the basic characters and sets the stage for the two opponents. I like her style of writing, it's not overdone.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful series of books to dive into. I love stuff like this, but I had a difficult time getting into the first one, which I tried as a sample on my Kindle. Do you think I should try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read Satori in Paris again and had a much better opinion of it. Where did you get stumped in Outlander and give up

      Delete
  8. I picked up Outlander by accident oh so long ago. I got through the 4th book (maybe only the 3rd) when life intervened, and I no longer had much time to read. Now that I have time again, I mean to get back to them. I probably should start from the beginning... I do remember the first, but... I do love to reread things.

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like what I did too. For several years when I worked and the kids were younger, I didn't read novels. I jumped back in with Asimov's Foundation.

      Delete
  9. I'm not a fan, of the books or the TV series, but now I wonder what I'm missing. LOL Will have to give them both another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I for some reason avoided her books too, not sure why, but she was so nice in person that I decided to try Outlander and see how I felt. Five books later. . .

      Delete
  10. Hi DG - I know you encouraged me to get them .. I still haven't read them - life is life isn't it ... and again you reiterate your love of the series ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.