Monday, April 18, 2016

O = ONDAATJE, Michael - Author, A-Z Blog Challenge 2016

A talented writer, who was born on a distant island. . .


Michael Ondaatje, Author, by  CBC.ca



O = Ondaatje, Michael, Author
Theme = Authors, AtoZ


Philip Michael Ondaatje, Order of Canada, who was born September 12, 1943, is a Sri Lankan-born Canadian novelist and poet.  He won the Booker Prize for The English Patient (1992) which was turned into a movie. It won many film industry awards.

Born in Colombo, Sri Lanka (formerly called Ceylon), Michael moved to England in 1954. In 1962, he relocated to Canada, became a citizen and completed his education. On 11 July 1988, Ondaatje was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.

 In 2005, he was honored with Sri Lanka Ratna, the highest honour given by the Government of Sri Lanka for foreign nationals.

Ondaatje's work includes fiction, autobiography, poetry and film.  He's published 13 books of poetry and the Governor General's Award for The Collected Works of Billy the Kid (1970) and There's a Trick with a Knife I'm Learning to Do: Poems 1973-1978 (1979).







'The Collected Works of Billy the Kid', Coming through Slaughter, and Vivisadero have been adapted for the stage and produced in theatrical productions across North America and Europe.

NOTE: I have a signed copy of the following book, The Collected Works of Billy the Kid obtained as a gift for a book reading which included Ondaatje in Vancouver. The cover of my book is red and black, with a man on horseback. and says Winner of the Governor-General's Award.


Cover for The Collected Works of Billy the Kid

***

Have you heard of Michael Ondaatje before this? Or read any of Ondaatje's books? 

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond. 

***

A to Z Challenge - 2016

It's April again and time for the 2016 Blogging from A to Z challenge  This is my 4th year participating in the challenge! (Previous A to Z  posts at the top of my blog page tabs are: Art A-Z, French Faves, Paris, Etc. 

Thanks to originator Lee (Arlee Bird at Tossing It Out), and the co-hosts and co-host teams who make the challenge run smoothly. See the list of participants, and other important information at the A to Z Blog site.  The basic idea is to blog every day in April except Sundays (26 days). On April 1st, you begin with the letter A, April 2 is the letter B, and so on. Posts can be random or use a theme.



Blogging from A to Z Challenge 2016 - Badge

***
References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ondaatje Michael Ondaatje's Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collected_Works_of_Billy_the_Kid:_Left-Handed_Poems Wiki on 'Billie the Kid'

***

29 comments:

  1. Hi DG - that first book was amazing - I haven't read it but did see the film .. also I must look out some of his other works ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was BIL that talked hubs and I into going to the reading in downtown Vancouver. Enjoyed hearing him read from his own work.

      Delete
  2. Bother - forgot the bit where you say you have a signed copy - how wonderful - that must have been an event to remember ... H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs got me the signed copy, as it was a birthday gift! I've read some of it. Ondaatje has a good reading voice so listening was a pleasure.

      Delete
  3. I saw the movie but didn't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't see The English Patient, so I should read the book first, I usually prefer that. Then I'll see the movie.

      Delete
  4. Again...more books I've never read. But in 1996 my bosses took me on a tour of the Saul Zaentz Company and Fantasy Records in Berkeley, and I watched them editing 'The English Patient' which was released in theatres a few months later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, JoJo, you did some cool things on the west coast when you lived here. I've done splicing of films (repair the old way) when the corp I worked for had educational films that were loaned out.

      Delete
  5. I've not read any of his work but I have seen the movie, The English Patient. I should read the book. Thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a lot of people saw the movie and I wanted to. Not sure why we didn't get around to seeing it.

      Delete
  6. He is a wonderful writer!!! I still remember reading The English Patient--some of his scenes were so perfectly described.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ondaatje is a converted Canadian like me - we came from elsewhere and liked it in Canada. So we stayed. . .I would like to read The English Patient.

      Delete
  7. No, I'm afraid I hadn't heard of him before this... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that you know who wrote The English Patient, it won many awards the year it came out. I'm liking your a to z theme this year, Robin.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I thought so too, Alex. It's just a bit more personal.

      Delete
  9. I've heard of him, but I haven't read any of his work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems like an interesting guy, I'd like to read The English Patient. I have the Billy the Kid book of poems and writings.

      Delete
  10. I have heard of THE ENGLISH PATIENT but now you have gotten me interested in the collection of poems called There's a Trick with a Knife I'm Learning to Do: Poems 1973-1978 (1979).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tht is definitely an intriguing title, Roland and like I mentioned the Billy the Kid poems/writings are interesting. I've had that book for a while. He was younger when I saw him at the reading.

      Delete
  11. I have heard of him, but would not know how to spell his name though. I haven't read the book but saw the film, The English Patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of people saw the film especially after it won a few awards.

      Delete
  12. I saw the English Patient, I don't think I liked it. But I didn't recognize his name which is the way of it when a movie is made. The director is remembered, the stars, but not the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea he was born in Colombo, or that he is a poet as well. Want to read the poetry now! Watched the English Patient, of course. Lucky, lucky you to have a signed copy of a book of his!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read about the other poetry, I thought of you, Nila, maybe because of this a to z poetry theme on your blog. . .that signed copy was from hubs. He knows I love books.

      Delete
  14. The English Patient was a brilliant film, I didn't read the novel. I also saw the movie, Billy the Kid, but didn't read the book nor did I realize he authored it. Thanks for adding to my literary knowledge. I love learning about authors and I've taken in so much interesting information during this challenge. What an honor to have a signed copy. Enjoyed the post.

    Melissa @
    Melissa Sugar Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like getting books as gifts and a signed one is even better. I've got to read the English Patient, too.

      Delete
  15. The English Patient was a wonderful read. I haven't read anything else by this author. Better get cracking, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.