Friday, April 22, 2016

S = SERLING, Rod - Author, A-Z Blog Challenge 2016


Imagine you're in a place where time doesn't exist. . .a place neither here nor now. . . a place called The Twilight Zone.


Actor Rod Serling as Narrator in The Twilight Zone 

R = Rodman, Edward "Rod" Serling, Author
Theme = Authors, AtoZ 2016


Edward "RodSerling Rodman (December 25 1924 - June 28, 1975) was an American screenwriter, playwright, television producer and narrator. He wrote live tv dramas in the 1950s and he also authored a science fiction anthology series, The Twilight Zone. Rod Serling began his employed professional writing career in 1950, when he earned $75 a week as a network continuity writer for WLW radio in Cincinnati, Ohio.

In addition to earning $45 to $50 a week at the college radio station, Serling attempted to make a living selling freelance scripts to radio programs. Serling was rejected for reasons such as "heavy competition," "this script lacks professional quality," and "not what our audience prefers to listen to"


Rod Serling, Actor and Narrator for The Twilight Zone


The Twilight Zone


On October 2, 1959, the classic Twilight Zone series, created by Serling, premiered on CBS.
For this series, Serling fought hard to get and maintain creative control. He claimed that with a science fiction format, the content would not be controversial, but would draw on his knowledge about boxing, the military, and airplane pilots.

The Twilight Zone aired for five seasons . It won many TV and drama awards, and drew much critical acclaim for Serling and his co-workers. Though it had a loyal fanbase, The Twilight Zone drew only moderate ratings. Serling sold the rights to The Twilight Zone to CBS. 

****

Have you heard of Rod Serling, the author of The Twilight Zone? Do you watch retro tv or reruns of shows from other decades? 

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by!

****

References:

photo image of Rod Serling - as Narrator on The Twilight Zone

Rod Serling Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Serling

***

21 comments:

  1. hi DG - I hadn't heard of Rod Serling and didn't know the background to the Twilight Zone - of which I know nothing ... I should I know! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's science fiction with a fifties flavor, Hilary, and I didn't know until I researched him that he wrote most of those shows on Twilight Zone.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea he was an author! I've seen a few Twilight Zones but many of them are just a bit too scary for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like watching the old reruns, and the Outer Limits too - old classic scifi when space was new and science fiction intrigued many writers.

      Delete
  3. I just purchased a biography of him written by his daughter in audio. I cannot wait to listen to it. Hard to stay true to your dream in Hollywood. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollywood can make or break dreams, as many have found out. It was called Tinsel Town wasn't it - glitter and glamour? Bet that is an interesting biography. . .

      Delete
  4. I wonder if he regrets selling the rights to CBS. I suppose he couldn't know that TV on DVD would be so popular. Or Netflix. Or all of the other ways the network continues to make money off that show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to switch the TV over as soon as the eerie music of Twilight came on. Spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I admit as a child some shows did give me nightmares, but I'd watch some of them because my mother said she needed company watching them (so she wouldn't be scared).

      Delete
  6. The Twilight Zone is one of the best TV series ever. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I agree with that opinion, Inger! As far as science fiction. I liked Outer Limits, too.

      Delete
  7. I did not know he was an author as well, but I remember watching the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he wrote the scripts either, I love that! He knew how to sell his product - who better to narrate?

      Delete
  8. One of my hero's! Love trying to write shorts that fit the Twilight Zone genre! We still enjoy them on Netflix! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about doing that - writing stories to fit the TZ genre. Some of them used to make me wonder. . .likely this sort of show made me love scifi.

      Delete
  9. Haven't watched the series, but right now getting into a place where Time doesn't exist sounds positively marvellous - I am so behind with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was a US only phenom and at the beginning of the 'space age' when we knew very little about 'space' itself.

      Delete
  10. I was really young when I watched my first Twilight Zone. I was terrified for a long time afterward. I always thought his narration was creepy and fitting for the series.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did try to present a creepy intro, rather like Alfred Hitchcock, to sort of set the stage for the show. . .

      Delete
  11. Was never really fond of the Twilight Zone; it's on at 12:30 AM weeknights on MeTV, but we're usually asleep by then. I admire Serling's body of work, though I can't say I'm all that into it. Same with Ray Bradbury: I can appreciate that he did so much writing, but it's not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both those authors would likely appeal to readers who like science fiction and space related films. He did a lot of this first, expecially in the US. I like the fact that he wrote a lot of the scripts.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.