Thursday, April 21, 2016

R = ROBB, Graham - Author, A-Z Blog Challenge 2016

How would you like to go on a Tour that's an Adventure History of Paris ? That's the subtitle for Parisians, and Graham Robb is the author.



Author Graham Robb, The Sunday Times, UK 


R = Robb, Graham, Author
Theme = Authors, AtoZ

Born in Manchester, Graham Robb attended school in Worcester, Oxford, and Exeter College. Over the years, he  accumulated several degrees and and published a few New York Times, "Best Books of the Year". All three of his biographies -Victor Hugo, Rimbaud and Balzac went on to be judged in this category. Robb married Margaret Hambrick in 1986. 

The Discovery of France by Robb won the Duff Cooper Prize in 2007 and the RSL Ondaatje Prize in 2008. 'The great and daring trick Robb pulls off is to make the familiar so unfamiliar that in every sense it is like seeing the city anew. In this, he admirably fulfils his boldest stated aim – to renew for the writer and reader "the pleasure of thinking about Paris".'

Robb received the Grande Medaille de la Ville de Paris in 2012.

***

Cover for Parisians, by Graham Robb



From My Review of Parisians in November 2013:
Is a city shaped by its citizens or are the citizens shaped by their city? Imagine taking a time-machine trip into the past and dropping in on the jazz scene in 50s Paris or watching from a horse as Napoleon's vision of the city unfolds before you. Graham Robb takes us on a similar trip with his novel, Parisians.

***
Have you read any of the Graham Robb novels? Which ones? Have you heard of him before? How are you managing with the A to Z postings? 

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond.  Thanks for dropping by!

***

References:

Wiki on Graham Robb - includes a list of his works.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Robb 

Parisians - An Adventure history
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/apr/11/parisians-adventure-history-graham-robb

***

18 comments:

  1. I've not heard of Robb until now. Sounds like I should be reading his works. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it appeals, then give it a try, and Robb has written several other books that you might like as well or better. I want to read a few more of his works.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of him but Parisians sounds like a book I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We discovered his writing in a bookstore while looking for books on Paris. . .(hey this book - Parisians - looks like a good read). It was. Greater Journeys, another book I mentioned by David McCullough is also an excellent read - both history based one is more factual and the other more fictionalized.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, you make me want to read this one too, like NOW! and this author will not be on at Project Gutenberg. The other might...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are able to find some of these authors. Robb is what they called an academic before he left that arena.

      Delete
  4. I am SO uncultured. Seriously, this is beginning to be worrisome. No, I haven't read anything by him, but I admit that I think he's rather nice looking in his photo:)

    I saw Robb and thought of J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). She writes futuristic murder mysteries. Now, she I've read... like I said... uncultured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read anything by Nora Roberts, so that might make me uncultured. . .but the purpose of these authors and mentioning their books is to introduce some new reading possibilities for anyone interested. I chose many that I have read, but also a few that I haven't read either.

      Delete
  5. Putting his books on my TBR list. I love learning and reading about Paris. My secret, or not so secret travel wish. :)
    As for the A to Z - I hate the fact that April is almost gone. It's my favorite month, but I'll be so happy when the A to Z is over and life becomes less defined by computer surfing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many who appreciate Paris, and I haven't had my fill yet either. I hope you get there sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  6. I keep wanting to read THE PARISIANS but life keeps getting in the way. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the problem - so many good books, so little reading time. Anything with Paris in it, gets my attention, and especially so if it's historical.

      Delete
  7. I want to read this! Thank you, for sharing him~ I am a fan of historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it or Greater Journeys (Americans in Paris), another book about history in Paris with more detail than we learned in school.

      Delete
  8. Never heard of the guy, but I do admit this intrigues me. Anything involving a time machine back into a charming, simpler, unfamiliar era is a good time to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, notice I said, 'imagine you were in a time machine' because it feels that way when you read his chapters, each about a different historical event. Sorry to mislead you. . .

      Delete
  9. Hi DG - I bought his book after your review - and still haven't read it .. now must do so ... your review was so complimentary ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robb is an avid bicyclist as well and tours on his bike in parts of Europe, gathering material for future books. I think he mentions this in the book near the end of 'Parisians'. I'm glad my review made you want to read the book.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they appear.